Mid tier glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2014
Looking for some glove recommendations. My daughter is playing 8U travel ball and will be moving up in the fall to 10U. She plays mostly infield, but has started to see a little time in CF. Her current glove is a cheap Rawlings FP115, which is the second one she's been through. They aren't expensive (30ish), but they aren't lasting very long. She's not ready for a high end glove. Her hand isn't big enough anyway, but I'm wondering if there are any mid tier options that might last longer until she is ready for a high end glove. I'll gladly spend more to get something that will last more than a season. I'm just having trouble figure out what my options are.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD had the same glove as yours (great gloves for younger kids) and she went to a Mizuno GMVP 1159P which works out great. It's a good size at 11.5", all leather, (the lightest weighing all leather I could find), easy to break in and it's reasonably affordable as I got hers for about $85. $69.95 plus shipping and tax.

http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/mizuno-mvp-prime-fastpitch-softball-glove-115-gmvp1159p-p-4687.html

She started using it as an average sized 8 year old last fall and it took about a week to get used to. Great thing is that she really likes it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Just got my 9 year old a Xeno and for the money it is the best glove Ive seen, FOR the money. Not saying its the best glove although it is nice. We found hers on sale for $45.00 brand new ! I could not find anything close to that dollar for dollar.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wasn’t saying anything bad about Xeno and I think it is a good opinion.

I just think the posted 11 ¾ seems a little big for 9YO.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
There are many good recommendations so far. However, the most important one is find a glove to fit her hand and positions she plays. You need to go to a store and physically try them on so that you know whichever one she likes fits properly and will not flop around on her hand. Either that or find an on-line retailer with a generous return policy and order several different models/manufacturers. Each glove manufacturer is different so they will make several models that are cut slightly different; some cut larger and some for smaller hands. It is imperative that you find one of the models which is right for her. Secondly, find a glove that fits the positions she plays. If your DD is going to play both infield and outfield, go for an 11 or an 11 1/2 inch glove. It will be big enough to handle the ball yet small enough for her to control easily. Other than that, Wilson makes a very nice glove since no one has suggested them yet. Their middle of the road model would be the A500 which is around $45-$60. Another Good middle of the road glove is the Mizuno GMVP series. It runs around $80. Yes it costs a little more but you should be able to get a good 4-5 years out of it with proper care.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD seemed to gravitate towards Mizuno gloves when she was younger. We would go to a sporting goods store and let her try on several and choose. I think I paid $50-70 for most of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish