Mendoza on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Because of the hypocrisy. Everyone was in a rage that a baseball guy was doing the WCWS. I have no problem either way but the same people that bitched about Schilling will rave about how great Mendoza will do.

Shilling was included because his daughteris a player and he has been around the game for year. Rather him than Kruk, but JK was more as an entertainment factor.

Then again, the female announcers that have announced softball the last few years, whether players or not, weren't exactly good at it, either.

Jan 25, 2011
I for one had no problem with Schilling doing WCWS, and actually enjoyed the change. If I remember correctly he coaches a girls fastpitch softball team so he is not totally in the dark as some may think.
Did you have your TV on mute? I could of sold him left handed bat for a lefty and he would have believed me. He was lost.

Dec 19, 2012
Did you have your TV on mute? I could of sold him left handed bat for a lefty and he would have believed me. He was lost.

I disagree. He was throwing out the questions so the female announcers would give their answers in detail. He already knew the answers. His dd played softball for years and is going to pitch at a DIII school.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I disagree. He was throwing out the questions so the female announcers would give their answers in detail. He already knew the answers. His dd played softball for years and is going to pitch at a DIII school.

He was throwing BP fastballs and they were still whiffing.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Who Was that reporter covering the world
Cup...was that Mexican TV? Brazillian? Let her in the booth for MLB games. They always try to get the softball players they think are the most attractive to do all the public appearances, or do broadcasting gigs. But invariably they are both not hot enough and not knowledgeable enough to keep my interest. So go full bore one way or the other, pure eye candy or pure knowledge. Mendoza was a great player, but I'd rather listen to Lisa Fernandez, Hutch, Kretschman or the whole host of other fast pitch women who demonstrate a lot more knowledge than Mendoza/Finch. Or I want to drool over my lil señorita from the FUTBOL games.

Apr 16, 2013
Probably anyone woman that played on the Silver Bullet Baseball team. Just like the hundreds of men that played international fastpitch would have been more qualified than Schilling.

Considering my daughter, which played on a national, all girls, all start 11u baseball team, was coached by a former silver bullet, was also one of the worst coaches we've ever had, I'd have to say that doesn't mean jack squat. (How's that for a run on sentence?!?!)

The ability to bring different perspectives, but more importantly keep the audience in tune, is what matters.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am one of those that complained. I was unaware that Mendoza was telling everyone how she played the game of softball and so, she knows exactly how to pitch someone in baseball. I was unaware that she constantly and consistently tells everyone watching the coverage that she would do this or do this or would do ... like Schilling did. When she presents herself as an expert at a game she didn't play, I'll complain. BTW, I haven't tuned in to one game she has done so take that for what it is worth. The Hypocrisy statement only applies when both act the same. It was never as simple as softball versus baseball. I would hope that most people knew that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The ability to bring different perspectives, but more importantly keep the audience in tune, is what matters.

Providing a perspective of what they actually know is a great thing. Providing one that is inaccurate is not a good thing under any circumstance. Many people are ignorant to some part of it whether rules, mechanics or fair play and some believe that because an individual is put in a position to call a game, they must be an expert. As we have all seen over the years, this just is not true in some cases.

I cannot tell you how many times, whether it be in baseball or softball, that players or coaches have cited a statement made by this "expert" or that on TV as fact and only become that much more flustered when informed they were incorrect. I've seen people ejected because they would not give up on an argument based upon what they heard from an announcer.

Mendoza may do a great job with baseball, I just don't know until shes shows us differently

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think she is one of the best softball commentators, if not the best. She is also an excellent ambassador for the game. I hope this baseball gig doesn't interfere with her softball gig!