"M" Needs a Change-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I've been trying various different change-ups with "M", but they all seem to mess up her fastball/dropball.

I need some input here. I'm thinking I'd like to teach her a change-up that enables her to keep the same arm-whip she has for her fastball/dropball and her riseball. Is there a particular grip that is best for this? Suggestions?

Keep in mind that her fingers are very long and she has long and lanky arms.

Here is her arm motion for her fastball/dropball...

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
For some reason, this Sarah Pauly change-up looks appealing. It looks like she comes into release with the standard arm-whip, but she her internal rotation a bit earlier and twists her hand. I don't see this as the full back-hand flip change-up.

Oct 22, 2009
For some reason, this Sarah Pauly change-up looks appealing. It looks like she comes into release with the standard arm-whip, but she her internal rotation a bit earlier and twists her hand. I don't see this as the full back-hand flip change-up.

This is a good change-up and the most popular with my students. (I teach many different kinds). One of my favorite ways to teach the change-up is with double wiffles. Two wiffles attached together with a zip tie. I have them learn to line the wiffles up right behind the leg and then -let go!- so the wiffles travel lined up together toward the target.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
This is a good change-up and the most popular with my students. (I teach many different kinds). One of my favorite ways to teach the change-up is with double wiffles. Two wiffles attached together with a zip tie. I have them learn to line the wiffles up right behind the leg and then -let go!- so the wiffles travel lined up together toward the target.

Of course, a person can get lost in what you mean by "lined up." Lined up with what? Do you have a clip?

Oct 22, 2009
Of course, a person can get lost in what you mean by "lined up." Lined up with what? Do you have a clip?

Here are 3 main ways I teach a change-up, I do add some variations like finger tucks and curls but when I start a beginner this is how I train them. They play with releasing the wiffles and try to keep them lined up through the release. As they start to "get it", I'll add tossing them to into an open bucket. The are trying o keep them in straight line all the way to the bucket, kind of "floating".
This takes the urge to whip the wrist and fingers away, which most of my beginners try to do with change-ups, that and not getting the release position in early enough.
As they progress and move back there will be some spinning of the wiffles especially when done with a full circle. The wiffles also force them to try to throw it hard, since they are light and won't reach the plate if they try to toss it.
You can throw the backhand straight or spin it forward, which will be a tumbling motion with one wiffle rotating over the other wiffle.
bh handshake change.jpgbackhand change.jpgbh palm change.jpg

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Hope this doesn't hijack but we have been having trouble with the flip change (inconsistent). How is a back door change thrown? I had my dd grip the ball in her palm with thumb and pointer finger in a circle on the side similar to a circle change in BB and had her use a normal release but with her finish more out across her body and up sort of like Hillhouse I guess? Anyway it seemed in the 30 or so she threw that it was better than the filip? Is that how the back door is thrown?

May 18, 2009
My DD league coach asked if he could show my DD a knuckle grip during warmups tonight. I think we may have found her new change up. It comes out and drops off at the plate. DD loved it. She was hitting knee to just below the knee warming up. Her control with it was almost instant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06