LSU's Tori Edwards no stranger to the weight room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2023
1 RM in and of itself is meaningless...
Comparing maxes to other people I think is overrated. Just like comparing pitching velocity. Unless you have a way to normalize it to make it competitive for everyone. I know percentage of body weight is popular. At some point you are what you are and are only really competing against yourself. Your number only has meaning to yourself as a measure of determine if what you are doing is improving what you seek. And I'm probably not trying to advance my 1RM during the season. I've got games and travel to recover from. It's offseason stuff.

I'm not sure how apples to apples basketball is to softball, but Geno Auriemma talked about practice to game ratio in the US compared to abroad in some What Drives Winning seminars. I'm not going to fact check the 6 practices to 1 game ratio he suggested is done abroad, but I do believe we are relying on players to self develop and things are heavily slanted towards games only. That's the money maker.

For us personally, we had league night, and tournament weekends. Depending on the tournament, we're playing games 4 days out of 7 if there are Friday evening pool games. Not much time left to practice unless you never take a day off.

So I dunno, maybe it's American culture of individualism that leads us to build great athletes, but that doesn't guarantee a great team. Seems the world is catching up to USA soccer on the women's side too.

Jun 20, 2016
She is incredibly strong for a woman I know some guys that would have a tough time lifting 405 even with a hex bar… I read in some of the comments she’s doing it without a belt and that could be dangerous. Listen a belt is not necessary all the time lifting heavy especially if you have good form. Now, if she were doing it with a straight bar, that would be a different story doing a straight bar conventional deadlift versus a hex bar deadlift is a big difference!

As for the comments that said just cause she can lift 405 pounds doesn’t translate into homeruns…. Not wrong there, but here’s what it does do. When you have that kind of strength, you can miss hit a ball and still drive it very hard and far, having that kind of base power allows you to get away with a lot more miss hits and still be successful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
She is incredibly strong for a woman I know some guys that would have a tough time lifting 405 even with a hex bar… I read in some of the comments she’s doing it without a belt and that could be dangerous. Listen a belt is not necessary all the time lifting heavy especially if you have good form. Now, if she were doing it with a straight bar, that would be a different story doing a straight bar conventional deadlift versus a hex bar deadlift is a big difference!

As for the comments that said just cause she can lift 405 pounds doesn’t translate into homeruns…. Not wrong there, but here’s what it does do. When you have that kind of strength, you can miss hit a ball and still drive it very hard and far, having that kind of base power allows you to get away with a lot more miss hits and still be successful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with everything you said. I am going to guess that about 80%- 90% of men can not lift 405 pounds on a trap bar between the ages of 18 and 45, that is a very impressive lift for a female. She lifted 405 with relative ease, it would not surprise me if she could do another 25 - 40 pounds. I am 45 years old and still workout 3-4 times per week including deadlifts, I am pretty sure I could not deadlift 405 without months of preparation.

Also, using the high grips on a trap bar certainly makes deadlifting much more safe than using a traditional barbell.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Ted Williams sold a weight set thru Sears back in the day. Total weight was 115 lbs. I would bet that 95 percent of MLB players would never attempt dead lifting 405 lbs.it just doesn't translate into being a better player, IMO.
Watch any of the many videos on youtube from Summers Method. He trains a bunch of MLB, college baseball, and college/pro softball players (watch some of the videos with Sierra Romero and Skylar Wallace) and is also close with the S&C coach for Softball at FSU. During certain parts of the year, they are building up to get their max lifts in order to then be able to formulate their weight percentages going forward. Unlike back in Ted Williams days, A LOT of scientific information has been found to show that you can still lift throughout the year (and lift heavy during certain times) when playing baseball and softball.

And as far as this situation, LSU is very up to date on the latest methods when it comes to S&C. Tori is taken care of VERY well, just like all of the other athletes there.

Summers Method
FSU Freshman Krystina Hartley deadlifts 450lbs

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020
I still have this question...WHY does Japan dominate without all the bulk compared to USA? Serious question.
Because this is America and Japan is strict on what they can/cannot eat. Also, what sport(s) does Japan “Dominate” in?

May 13, 2023
Added for content
* started a post in main discussion forum with this.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00