Fastpitch Softball Returning to 2028 Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The fastpitch softball world got some great news this week, as our sport will once again be included in the Olympic Games for 2028. I’m sure it comes as no surprise since the games will be held in Los Angeles and the U.S. is essentially home territory for softball. Still, nothing is ever a given, […]

More...

Aug 21, 2008
This post is untrue. Even though "Justin's world of softball" has reported that softball is back in the games, it's not. At least not yet.

There is a vote on Monday (I think this coming Monday Oct 16, 2023) in India. The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has their meeting and votes. 5 sports are fighting for 3 sports to be included in 2028. Softball (and it's partner baseball) are fighting to be included. So are sports like Cricket.

I'd say the odds are good softball will be included because LA has the facilities to have them. If the games were in a city that doesn't have established facilities (like London didn't 2012 and Rio didn't 2016) then I'd say the chances were much lower.

As a whole, the IOC would rather have individual sports instead of team sports due to costs. Every host city is responsible for housing, meals, transportation, medical, etc. for all the athletes. More teams means more money. Even a sport like Rugby, which is in 2024 in Paris, is going with a modified format of 7 on 7 instead of the regular number of players. This was a concession they made to be included.

Everyone thinks their sport should be in the Olympics. Everyone thinks their sport is the best game in the world. But the reality is the Olympics can only host so many events. Someone and their "best sport" will be excluded. Personally I think the one thing that works against softball, despite it's popularity, is that baseball is along side it. IOC hates baseball due to steroid scandals, the cost to build stadiums, and of course because MLB won't let their players play. When softball/baseball was bumped from the games is when MLB created the World Baseball Classic.

May 29, 2015
Since they came out of the Olympics, it has long been assumed that a return of the games to a country that "values" these sports would mean their return.

Aug 21, 2008
WBC started in 2006, and they played baseball in 2008 in Beijing Olympics.
Good catch (pardon the pun). While a couple years overlapped, it's worth mentioning that softball/baseball were given several years notice that they wouldn't be in the games past 2008. That gave MLB the chance to get the tournament rolling. I'm not sure it started off with a roar here in the USA, it certainly did in other countries. It seemed like there were more "superstars" playing in this year's tournament than previous for USA. And what a thrilling finish, Ohtani striking out Trout. Hated it for USA but, loved it for the sport of baseball.

Jun 18, 2023
Probably a little bit of chicken/egg there too, did MLB's desire for the WBC prompt the Olympics to drop baseball?

I think it's becoming a pretty fun tournament overall, and really I'd rather that than the Olympics. Softball doesn't have that though, and perhaps they shouldn't be so coupled.

Aug 21, 2008
Probably a little bit of chicken/egg there too, did MLB's desire for the WBC prompt the Olympics to drop baseball?

I think it's becoming a pretty fun tournament overall, and really I'd rather that than the Olympics. Softball doesn't have that though, and perhaps they shouldn't be so coupled.
I don't think so. I think the WBC came with the merger of softball/baseball in the WBSC. Remember, one of the things that frustrated the IOC was MLB not falling in line with NBA and NHL to allow their athletes to play in the games. I don't know when the NHL started playing in the Olympics but, it was obviously 1992 for NBA and the Dream team. Personally I think MLB did this when baseball was removed from the games and the IOC was off their backs. Then someone realized this could be a money maker!!

I've said many many times, when the ISF (international softball federation) which was the governing body for international softball, merged with baseball to create the WBSC, it was another slap in the face to men's softball. The International governing body seemingly didn't even try to get the male half of their own sport into the Olympics despite the obvious advantages of having both male and female softball in the Olympics. Instead, they merged with baseball so they would be the male half of the Olympic duo of bat/ball sports. I find it hard to think of anything more frustrating than that, when they won't even support their own sport instead merging with baseball. It's a topic that gets my blood pressure up.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This post is untrue. Even though "Justin's world of softball" has reported that softball is back in the games, it's not. At least not yet.

There is a vote on Monday (I think this coming Monday Oct 16, 2023) in India. The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has their meeting and votes. 5 sports are fighting for 3 sports to be included in 2028. Softball (and it's partner baseball) are fighting to be included. So are sports like Cricket.

I'd say the odds are good softball will be included because LA has the facilities to have them. If the games were in a city that doesn't have established facilities (like London didn't 2012 and Rio didn't 2016) then I'd say the chances were much lower.

As a whole, the IOC would rather have individual sports instead of team sports due to costs. Every host city is responsible for housing, meals, transportation, medical, etc. for all the athletes. More teams means more money. Even a sport like Rugby, which is in 2024 in Paris, is going with a modified format of 7 on 7 instead of the regular number of players. This was a concession they made to be included.

Everyone thinks their sport should be in the Olympics. Everyone thinks their sport is the best game in the world. But the reality is the Olympics can only host so many events. Someone and their "best sport" will be excluded. Personally I think the one thing that works against softball, despite it's popularity, is that baseball is along side it. IOC hates baseball due to steroid scandals, the cost to build stadiums, and of course because MLB won't let their players play. When softball/baseball was bumped from the games is when MLB created the World Baseball Classic.
Ok now it's official. https://www.usasoftball.com/news/20...DL7abL41CWCFBqXAm7qNZsnUnCXojlOxVEHNlNiytSlcY

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00