Lower body and hips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Looks like a pretty exaggerated preload, you will see some people mention preload and hold as you stride then release as an option for people having certain issues but if you look closely while he is preloaded once the pitching motion starts he continues the load and coil then stride sequence that is more common.

He might be using this because his original load sequence was taking too long and he felt he wasn't quick enough or maybe it's just a cue so that he is already half way to where he wants to be and just continues from a certain point that make it easier for him to do it correctly...who knows but I'm not completely against a preload. I think the issue can be if the preload is complete well before the pitch starts it becomes really hard to hold that position and hard to stay lose.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I find Gurriels swing very interesting and I am surprised not to see it mimicked more. He is about 90% pre loaded but does have a little more load as pitch is delivered. Seems repeatable and powerful. Maybe it is difficult to stay lose in that position. Wonder if pitchers might use that to their advantage somehow.

Oct 2, 2017
I find Gurriels swing very interesting and I am surprised not to see it mimicked more. He is about 90% pre loaded but does have a little more load as pitch is delivered. Seems repeatable and powerful. Maybe it is difficult to stay lose in that position. Wonder if pitchers might use that to their advantage somehow.
The biggest issue I think it would give players, is flying open too soon. Many I think would have a hard time holding it through the stride.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I think the shoulders would be the most important part of his swing.

Like Jack Mankin says, it's the shoulder rotation that is most important to transfer energy and not the hips.

Oct 2, 2017
He tends to get over his front leg a lot. Almost looks kind of lunge, like he relying on forward moment. Even though video below is 2 years old, during the world series he did the same. He's probably not doing that though if you slow the video down.

May 16, 2019
Can the lowerbody be set to turn from the start, ready to rotate? And you load or stretch against the that action, pull the rubber band back. Or put another way, are you trying to rotate (use the lowerbody) from the very beginning and you pull back the rubber band against the forward action of starting the lower body.

Trying to do what you described here.

Jul 29, 2013
Can the lowerbody be set to turn from the start, ready to rotate? And you load or stretch against the that action, pull the rubber band back. Or put another way, are you trying to rotate (use the lowerbody) from the very beginning and you pull back the rubber band against the forward action of starting the lower body.

To me thats the way to do it. I like using the stride to load by opening the hips into foot plant with the shoulders remaining still. This takes any slack out. By not turning against yourself, it still creates torque in the core without turning your shoulders back making it harder to see the ball and getting you further from the hitting zone. It's really the hips (pelvis) leading the way with everthing else following.
Then I promote pushing against the front leg to start the swing, I like the front leg push because the forward momentum can be loaded into that leg and the bigger extension muscles get involved rather than the smaller muscles involved in coiling the leg in the hip socket.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Hi Mike.
The young lady is coming out of her legs.. the result is losing posture and getting her back elbow stuck. No spacing.

Jmo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom