Lookking for opinions/input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Regardless of whether or not it's a great idea for her to pitch BP I don't see why you wouldn't use a screen to minimize the chance of injury. She'll probably get a lot more balls hit at her in BP than in a real game situation. If they don't have a screen donate one to the team.

Feb 26, 2011
My DD's HS coach wants her to do the same (throw meatballs down the middle) so girls can work on thier timing and hit the ball. She just wont do because she has been pitching long enough to know where the ball is going to end up if she does. She has told the coach she would'nt do it for her safety , but will throw BP. Fastballs on the corners and some drops nothing else thought.

Jul 26, 2010
If they have to throw meatballs it's fair to ask for a screen. If they're allowed to practice like they play and try to strike batters out, then a screen is not necessary.

-w

Feb 19, 2009
Does the coach have other pitchers rotate in or is it just your dd who's supposed to all fastballs for the entire team to get BP? My dd has thrown in a cage before during winter workouts but it was to a catcher who called different locations and cu's and other pitchers would rotate in every four or five batters.

If it's just your dd who's expected to go into a cage and throw nothing but fastballs to the entire team the coach sounds like a complete knucklehead.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Two pitchers. Eleven batters. Nobody got overworked. I re-read my OP, and saw that it could be read as a complaint about the way practice was/is being run. That definitely wasn't the point. Safety was at the heart of the OP, and I've heard some great advice about how to mitigate some of the risk and deal constructively with the situation.

I want to be clear here: I am not trying in any way to criticize the coach's decision to use pitchers to throw BP. Many of us have done that. This is my DD's coach. I support her efforts. I've enjoyed reading everyone's input here, and may personally and privately agree with many of your opinions, but I'm not going to throw her under the bus for doing things differently than I might do them.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
BTW, my personal opinion is that team pitchers should not be pitching batting practice unless they are "protecting themselves" by trying to strike the batter out. Its either batting practice or pitching practice, but not both.

My Thoughts EXACTLY!!!!! No meatballs... If you want batting practice then set up a pitching machine in the cage. Let the hitters take their cuts that way.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I suggest that you talk to the AD and tell him/her that you are worried about your daughter's safety but due to the political nature of the situation you prefer to stay in the background. If she was behind a screen you would be satisfied. Fastballs down the middle come back up the middle, very dangerous situation I think. You might even say that if your daughter should suffer a serious injury you might have to consult with a lawyer. The AD could drop by practice and drop a hint.

Mar 9, 2011
Columbus IN
Have your dd ask the coach to stand next to her for a few at bats. I bet they come up with a screen ! I would nt let my dd pitch in a cage, shes a pitcher, not a human pitching machine. Balls can come off the ceiling and hit the pitcher also.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I would also be VERY concerned about the safety of this...and I wouldn't be quiet about it.

Could you or your dd talk to an assistant coach and make some recommendations?

I would recommend to them also... to use softy balls in the cage.
Jugs Sports 12" Softie Yellow Softball | Softball.com

We only use "softy" balls for live cage pitching-hitting... and pitchers go after the batters. If we want them to swing alot at down the middle pitches we use a pitching machine...like others said. A screen is an addition but the softy balls keep it much safer for all... in live cage pitching.

Maybe you could have someone else donate a bucket of them with a screen ... and let them know they are for live pitching/hitting in cages.

This coach should get in there...pitch real balls... no screen...all fast balls down the middle... and see what happens. The first one that came sizzling by the ear...would make her rethink things.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I can't come up with any reason for not having a screen during BP regardless of the opinions of the way the pitchers should throw. I believe your daughter (or any player) should speak to the coach about anything practice that unecessarily puts them in harms way. They do need to take responsibility first. Maybe for you, the next step might be to discuss this with the AD (since you worked there prior to this coach) and they can observe practices. The AD at my school will "gently" recommend something that he sees that is possibly unsafe.

It is a shame that a player would have to worry about playing time over something like this. I have a freshman this year that during tryouts I kept calling her by the wrong name. One of the seniors told me about it. The freshmans response when I apologized to her and told her to correct me...."I didnt want to get cut from the team"! I can imagine how tough your DD's situation is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA