Lookking for opinions/input

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Looking for opinions/input

Here's the situation: DD in first week of HS practice. Coach has her warm up in batting cage tunnel, then removes catcher and puts batters in for full swings/BP. Coach tells DD to aim for a spot on the back of the net and just throw fastballs. No net in front of her, though she is wearing a facemask and is throwing from 43'

Practices are closed, DD is a frosh, no way to address this without being the obvious complainant. On top of it all, this coach is my successor, and has been very clear that the direction of the team is AWAY from my way of doing things.

I have made every effort to steer clear of conflict and the appearance of exceeding the limits the coach has in place to protect herself from meddlesome parents. I am, though, concerned for DD's safety. I've seen this (tunnel pitching) addressed on this forum, and I know most are against it, but does it seem inherently dangerous, or just less than ideal practice? Any more dangerous than any other pitching in practice or games?

I value the opinions of the posters on this forum. I'd like to hear from any of you about how you would approach this situation.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
That sounds kind of dangerous to me. I'm also not an advocate of forcing pitchers to pitch golf balls for batting practice.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I would have your DD explain her concern to the coach and offer a solution (i.e. "I love throwing batting practice but can I throw behind a screen since I will be pitching right down the middle of the plate and you have taught these batters to hit very well...").

BTW, my personal opinion is that team pitchers should not be pitching batting practice unless they are "protecting themselves" by trying to strike the batter out. Its either batting practice or pitching practice, but not both.

Jul 26, 2010
Truth is that she's the exact same distance away from the batter that she is in a game, it's no more or less "dangerous". It does feel claustrophobic at first.

i don't like the idea that he's getting her to throw BP. He should tell her to work the corners with her fast ball. The hitters aren't going to get balls down the middle in a game, and the pitcher isn't going to pitch down the middle, so what's the point in practicing this? A pitcher keeps herself safe by pitching on the black so if the ball is hit, it will generally go to the opposite field and away from the pitcher. By the same token, the pitcher needs to learn that the moment they release the ball, they are an infielder and are expected to field the balls that come their way.

The most important thing to be cognizant of is the pitcher's fatigue. Make sure pitchers are rotated frequently (every 3 batters or so). If your organization does not have enough pitchers to do this, then they shouldn't do it.

All that said, it isn't unsafe when done properly, it's no different then playing in a real game.

-W

Apr 13, 2010
The reason I said dangerous is she is only allowed to throw fastballs and they are in a tunnel. So, all the hitters get to sit on a fastball and they're not going to be able to think about going to right field, or left field with it because of the confined space?

No, I don't like that scenario at all.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Thanks for the input. I know it's not best practice, and I agree that the best way for DD to protect herself is to move the ball around, but if the coach says throw meat, you throw meat. I was interested in measuring folks' ideas about whether it was inherently more dangerous to the point where it was worth addressing it. Definitely not interested in discussing practice philosophy/approach with coach (pitchers throwing BP, catcher/no catcher, etc), but very interested in making sure DD is not in an unnecessarily dangerous situation. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
The reason I said dangerous is she is only allowed to throw fastballs and they are in a tunnel. So, all the hitters get to sit on a fastball and they're not going to be able to think about going to right field, or left field with it because of the confined space?

No, I don't like that scenario at all.

Of course it is dangerous, because of the fact that she is throwing down the middle of the plate everytime just like a pitching machine and the batter will be sitting on the fastball every swing. However I think it is important that your DD be the one to talk to the coach and offer a solution. Especially since the coach is your successor, I think you need to stay out of it, at least for now. If a solution isn't implemented than you go with a plan B. Sounds like there is more going on here than just batting practice and you don't want your DD to get caught in the middle.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck yes, it is dangerous to stand there and throw fastballs.

I don't like closed practices at a public HS. Colleges don't even do that.

But, anyway - DD is going to have to address it with the coach. If that doesn't work, you will have to wade in. How bad does your DD want to play?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
100% agree with Amy...your DD should try first. If that doesn't work, then a parent has to address the problem.

When it becomes an issue of safety, then you as a parent have to get involved. Using a screen isn't that big of a deal--I'm surprised the coach doesn't use one.

Truth is that she's the exact same distance away from the batter that she is in a game, it's no more or less "dangerous".

No, it isn't. She is being told to throw fastballs only. Additionally, the batter gets multiple swings, not 3...and if the batter hits a ball fair, the batter stays and gets to swing some more. So, this is much more dangerous than in a game.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Right now, this is her #1 priority. She REALLY wants to play on this team. I agree that she should be the one to bring it up--she's reluctant, for all kinds of freshman reasons, but that's a part of growing up and learning to self-advocate. SoCal, it's a complicated situation, and believe me, I'm doing everything I can to not be a problem--mostly by keeping my distance and keeping my mouth shut. Coach has a right to run practices as she sees fit. I raised the safety question because it's a thing I've never done or seen done, not because I'm out to pick a fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA