Long time purker and I have several questions!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Swingz

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
Long time lurker and I have several questions!

I have a list of notes and questions here so if you would be so kind to answer a few of my questions Id appreciate it!

I have been reading the I/R thread, The Drive Mechanics thread and viewing Rich Balswick and Rick Pauley videos as well as Boardmembers and Java Sources comments. All very good resources to say the least! My questions are as follows.

1. Why do so many people have open and closed flip flopped? What im seeing is the pitching world calls the body facing 1 st base( rh ) open. While hips getting opened up at 45 degrees is called closed? THIS IS BASS AKWARDS AND IT CONFUSES THE CRAP OUT OF ME! Can someone define open and closed for me before I shoot myself!

2. I see Rich Balswick calls for the rear leg to come up on release, this is in direct conflict with the DM thread where the posture is completely different. Balswick is calling for a more up and down posture and even an up on your back tippy toe posture as where the DM thread is calling for a much more of a tilt and feet in front of arms posture with much more resistance on the front leg, the opinions here are different! Any reason why? I know that people have different teachings but whats the more common way? The better way so to speak, In your opinion!

3. If Im hearing Balswick properly he is also saying to stay OPEN or 45 degree angle? Facing first...With no shoulder or hip rotation and believes when you do that it creates a push of the ball. But several others such as Pauley say to rotate the shoulders and hips. Sarah Pauley definitely does this as you can see with video analysis! Someone chime in here also!

4. Im seeing Boardmember advocating landing at a 45 degree angle and not being all the way OPEN? I also see Boardmember calling open closed and closed open? If he could clear that up that would help me in my research also!

Thank you for your time and if I am not understanding or comprehending any of these Pitching leaders comments or theories properly , let me know, I don't care about being offended I just want to be right!

Last edited:

Swingz

Banned
Mar 5, 2015
I also notice how he calls for the ball to face third base and not palm up. He does talk about staying behind the front leg , but also talks about getting up on the back foot toe.

Jun 18, 2010
1. Can someone define open and closed for me before I shoot myself!

I think of it this way. When the pitcher is facing the catcher, she is closed. When the stride occurs, the hips open. As the stride foot lands (say at 45 degrees), I've heard people describe that as 45 degrees open, and/or 45 degrees closed.

2. I see Rich Balswick calls for the rear leg to come up on release, this is in direct conflict with the DM thread where the posture is completely different. Balswick is calling for a more up and down posture and even an up on your back tippy toe posture as where the DM thread is calling for a much more of a tilt and feet in front of arms posture with much more resistance on the front leg, the opinions here are different! Any reason why? I know that people have different teachings but whats the more common way? The better way so to speak, In your opinion!

I don't know if this is what you're asking, but I prefer a slight "reverse posture" at release. I know some PCs want more weight forward for certain pitches like drop balls.

b0b0ebf7-333f-45c0-a912-f75c116b38a6_zps71f9cf52.png

finch_release_zpsf5d5d50a.png

hip_brush_amanda_zps8a1fdc2a.gif

3. If Im hearing Balswick properly he is also saying to stay OPEN? Facing first...With no shoulder or hip rotation and believes when you do that it creates a push of the ball. But several others such as Pauley say to rotate the shoulders and hips. Sarah Pauley definitely does this as you can see with video analysis! Someone chime in here also!

Pitchers have various degrees of shoulder/hip closure at release. I think Amanda is very closed at release, and Cat more open. JS described the concept of shoulder-hip disconnet, which to me is the bigger issue and one you want to avoid. Where the shoulders over rotate and the hips stay more "open".

hip_shoulder_disconnect_zps559a0dbd.gif

4. Im seeing Boardmember advocating landing at a 45 degree angle and not being all the way OPEN? I also see Boardmember calling open closed and closed open? If he could clear that up that would help me in my research also!

He's just messing with us. I've heard him refer to the hips/shoulders as 45 degrees open, and/or 45 degrees closed

I'm no expert, these are just my opinions.

PS. play nice this time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd