Long time purker and I have several questions!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
hip_brush_amanda_zps8a1fdc2a.gif

If the pitcher isn't using this action (yes, including brush contact with the inside of the throwing forearm), she's likely not throwing as hard as she could. All else equal, arm-whip with internal rotation and brush assisted release will out throw (velocity) the pushing/bowling (a.k.a., "hello-elbow") action every time.

Last edited:
? In regards to the front side resistance/push back on the plant foot in my dd's case she increases her speed from avg 52-54 to avg 56-57 mph as a 12u but it bothers her back if done too much is that a conditioning thing or a technique

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW- I'm no PC, but it looks to me like your DD might be over-striding. great leap but if you see what Amanda Scarborough is doing with her lower body in the video posted above, I don't see that happening. DD's PC has been stressing the reverse-posture that A.S. exhibits, with the bent front leg. Your DD might be a little too rigid when landing which is transferring the shock to her back?? I'm also not a Kinesiologist, this is just an observation.

Last edited:
yeah in my DDs video she isn't really pushing back like A,S when she does though it starts to hurt her back that's where we are having trouble, and was wondering if its a core,technique-conditioning thing? when she does to me her technique is very good and very similar to AS and she gains 3-5mph more speed which is great but since like I said hurts her back specifically the lower right back muscle. we have stayed away from the push back somewhat only doing it here and there in her pitching.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
I have a list of notes and questions here so if you would be so kind to answer a few of my questions Id appreciate it!

4. Im seeing Boardmember advocating landing at a 45 degree angle and not being all the way OPEN? I also see Boardmember calling open closed and closed open? If he could clear that up that would help me in my research also!

To be honest, it took me 2 years to get this board to refer to the arm circle clock correctly. When I first started posting here everyone referred to the arm circle as if the pitcher was facing the clock face. So when the arm was behind and parallel to the ground it was referred to as 3:00. I argued till I was blue in the face to get people to understand that when I'm coaching, the pitcher is facing me, so her back was to the clock face, putting the ball at 9:00 when the ball was behind her. It finally stuck after I made the first overlay ever shown on here of Finch with a clock face. Subsequently, other have made them as well.

With regards to the open and closed positions, I'm just not willing to fight that battle, so I try to remain consistent to the boards own understanding of open/closed. Sometimes I fail.

Example, why is the hitter closed to the pitcher when he/she stands in the box, and is considered to have opened the hips and shoulders during the swing. Why do we want the slapper/dragger to stay closed to the pitcher longer, and not open to early. Yet the pitcher is closed when facing the batter? Do you really tell a hitter to "open more" when a pitch is headed straight for him/her?

So when both are sideways, the batter is closed but the pitcher is open?.......Riiiiiight......

Here's my take:

When you are "open" to me, you are facing me. You are receptive. You are vulnerable. You are not in a position of power. You have not created a barrier.

When you are "closed" to me, you are sideways to me. You have created a barrier. A position of power. You are not vulnerable.

When I coach pitchers in my own space. They are open as they take their position on the rubber. The close during the push. And they do not open too much or too early during the delivery.......

Sometimes they open early losing leverage, power and whip. Sometimes they stay too closed, creating a barrier to the target, blocking the path to the target, and lose power, whip and velocity by shutting down the rotation from all the way open to half way closed.....

Which brings me to Rick and Rich.

Rich does NOT want pitchers to rotate OPEN to the target during the delivery. Which is correct.

Rick does want pitchers to allow rotation of the hips and shoulders to a degree that they are NOT remaining completely closed at release. Which is also correct.

So there you go......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli