LL Regionals vs. Nationals with travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Last year LL softball tournament rules were you cant pitch more than one inning on back to back days. However you could pitch full games every other day. Since LL Softball only does one game a day you really only need two pitchers.

The boys rules are the ones that are confusing.

She picked her travel team. I was just looking for insight into her missing something which sounds like not many get a chance to do.

That's right you can pitch full games, but full games are considered anything 2 innings or more, so if Pitcher #1 was having a bad day and you put in Pitcher #2 as relief in the third inning, you're screwed.

I can't give you a lot of insight, sounds like she picked already?

-W

Apr 14, 2011
That's right you can pitch full games, but full games are considered anything 2 innings or more, so if Pitcher #1 was having a bad day and you put in Pitcher #2 as relief in the third inning, you're screwed.

I can't give you a lot of insight, sounds like she picked already?

-W

Yeah. She picked her travel team. Just that most of the All star parents keep trying to explain to me she is making a mistake and could be missing an opportunity to do something "special". They haven't won anything yet, but hypothetically if they did win the state and went on to reach the LLWS... my DD wouldn't be a part of it. I think she would be happy for them; but maybe she would regret it later?

Jul 26, 2010
Life is about making mistakes and learning from them. It's a valuable lesson. Make a decision and stand by it, that's a way more important lifetime learning event then an embarrassing video to share when she's older from making the LLWS.

-W

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Just that most of the All star parents keep trying to explain to me she is making a mistake and could be missing an opportunity to do something "special".

Sounds like the All-Star parents know that their team has no chance of reaching the LLWS without your DD help because she is the best player in the league so they are putting the pressure on you to stay. They are less worried about your DD missing an opportunity than they are about their own kids not getting the opportunity without her playing with them.

I think you and your DD are making the right decision, you made a commitment to your TB team and since you can't do both, stick with your TB team and Nationals. Good luck.

Dec 13, 2010
Information below is to clarify the innings allowed for LL All Star tournament. I am assuming your daughter is playing in a 11-12 yo Junior softball division.

1. One pitch delivered counts as a inning pitched.

2. Ten innnings max pitched in one day.

3. Less than five innings pitched in one day requires no rest.

4. Five or more innings in one day requires one days rest.

There are no rules listing the max innings pitched per week for tournament play.

The requirements are different for regular season pitching.

Apr 19, 2011
LL vs Nation

Sounds like you are making the right decision to just let her play with her TT. I had to do the same thing last year when my DD had a chance to play in the USFA World Series with her travel team versus playing LL All Atars(which is an honor to be apart of, too). Its better to just play one or the other, than to let a team down when they would need her the most. And I'm sure that is not what you want to teach your DD.

Jun 13, 2010
You allready made your decision and good Luck . I just had to throw in my Two cents. I have Umpired at The LL all star tourney for quite a few years and I have made an observation. It is difficult to advance at the 11 12 age level. The rules posted by kchmcbaz are for Juniors Level witch would be 13-14 year olds. at that level two pitchers are all you need, BUT at 11-12 you need 4 pitchers to advance 5 would be better.

I think this will change in the next few years, As LL has a Sostball director now instead of every thing being run by the BB side

Jan 11, 2010
Although your daughter has made a decision, let me tell you that an 11 or 12 year old will never have a neater experience than being on ESPN with a worldwide audience for a few nights. The girls do not get one tenth of the TV coverage that the boys do, but they do get two nights. It is also an unbelievable experience way beyond what ASA, ISA, or any other federation at that age can offer. While the competition is deeper at ASA Nationals, the TV, bonding experience, and notoriety will last a lifetime. When you resume travel ball the next year, the ASA or Premier Nationals are much more important for growth and competition. It is also not as easy as you might think to advance all the way due to pitching limitations. You can win with 2 very good pitchers, but 3 will make it less stressful. Good luck and enjoy the ride- it goes quickly!

Sep 29, 2010
Although your daughter has made a decision, let me tell you that an 11 or 12 year old will never have a neater experience than being on ESPN with a worldwide audience for a few nights. The girls do not get one tenth of the TV coverage that the boys do, but they do get two nights. It is also an unbelievable experience way beyond what ASA, ISA, or any other federation at that age can offer. While the competition is deeper at ASA Nationals, the TV, bonding experience, and notoriety will last a lifetime. When you resume travel ball the next year, the ASA or Premier Nationals are much more important for growth and competition. It is also not as easy as you might think to advance all the way due to pitching limitations. You can win with 2 very good pitchers, but 3 will make it less stressful. Good luck and enjoy the ride- it goes quickly!

We went to the USSSA World Series at the Disney ESPN Wide World of Sports complex last year and it was awesome. The whole week there are TV crews following the teams around and videoing the action. All through the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex are TV's and all day long they are showing highlights of the days action just like you would see watching sports center. It was an awesome experience.

We didn't make it to the final, but we were told that the last couple of games are broadcast live on ESPN3.com . Not sure if that is true or not, but let me tell you. My daughter was on a couple of the highlight videos being displayed in the park that week and even though it wasn't being shown nationally it was awesome. She loved seeing herself on "TV". It was a great week and one I highly recommend if you're on the East Coast looking for a "National" event.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I know this was beat to death a couple years ago, but doesn't LL forbid their All-Stars from participating with any other teams once selected?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619