"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I think I've used the cue 'get deep' in two ways:

1) training oppo/deep off tee or soft toss helps to develop a proper bat path covering all contact locations (as does training up and down in the zone), and..

2) against live pitching using it to talk about how to 'go with' or hit oppo on an outside pitch. With the fix being if you get out early on that pitch it's an almost guaranteed groundball out. Understanding how a pitcher is trying to get you out via pitch location and having an answer to that results in more hard-hit balls and using the whole field....

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think I've used the cue 'get deep' in two ways:

1) training oppo/deep off tee or soft toss helps to develop a proper bat path covering all contact locations (as does training up and down in the zone), and..

2) against live pitching using it to talk about how to 'go with' or hit oppo on an outside pitch. With the fix being if you get out early on that pitch it's an almost guaranteed groundball out. Understanding how a pitcher is trying to get you out via pitch location and having an answer to that results in more hard-hit balls and using the whole field....

Agree if your movement pattern is ABAF.. This guy gets out early (FYB) dynamically which buys him time to either go with it or turn on it.

eZojuR3.gif

Aug 20, 2017
Okay, what type of tweaks would you do to the players that are ABAF? What actions need to be performed to get them out of that pattern? Drill examples would be helpful.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fix the load/stride sequence to start with. ABAF hitters don’t use the Kinetic chain properly. They overload the backside getting too much weight over the back foot. Couple options when this happens: they either stand up during the stride (bad posture) due to energy being sent up the body too early, they stay back and reach with front foot and then shift forward during the swing, or they shift COM too far forward which encourages a push/steep plane. Girls can all have success doing any of the above. Just not ideal imo.
Drills: coil drill: feet at a 45 degree angle, rotate back getting weight into back butt check and turning belt buckle toward catcher some. Stride maintaining this coil (belt buckle doesn’t open early) and hit.
Feet together Justin Stone Drill: focus is anchoring the scap and controlling the stride with the rear leg (tempo)
Stride Ahead to stay behind drill: front foot even with ball on tee, stride passed the ball and swing with focus on head going rearward. Those that chase or leak forward will struggle doing this drill and it’s only for them. Focus is to stay behind the ball and rotating the torso form behind the ball.
Do I pass my test?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Fix the load/stride sequence to start with. ABAF hitters don’t use the Kinetic chain properly. They overload the backside getting too much weight over the back foot. Couple options when this happens: they either stand up during the stride (bad posture) due to energy being sent up the body too early, they stay back and reach with front foot and then shift forward during the swing, or they shift COM too far forward which encourages a push/steep plane. Girls can all have success doing any of the above. Just not ideal imo.
Drills: coil drill: feet at a 45 degree angle, rotate back getting weight into back butt check and turning belt buckle toward catcher some. Stride maintaining this coil (belt buckle doesn’t open early) and hit.
Feet together Justin Stone Drill: focus is anchoring the scap and controlling the stride with the rear leg (tempo)
Stride Ahead to stay behind drill: front foot even with ball on tee, stride passed the ball and swing with focus on head going rearward. Those that chase or leak forward will struggle doing this drill and it’s only for them. Focus is to stay behind the ball and rotating the torso form behind the ball.
Do I pass my test?

This isn’t a test for you, it’s for me..... I’m just trying to test my own thoughts but thank you for sharing yours.... my issue is that I lack sample size. I don’t work with anyone except for my DD my son isn’t into sports .

I see that you are back side focus heavy with your drills. During these drills is there any focus on the front side?

Have you ever noticed that these drills changed the way their front side acted? In the up front actions (the gathering).

Is lateral tilt a movement that you try to incorporate into these drills? If so when should this action happen?

I personally believe the root cause to an ABAF pattern is how the front side is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I see Posey with different hand positions, everything else is similar. Unless, you purposely stop the lower body and cast the hands to punch the ball oppo.

On the inside pitch his hands are close to being inline with the midline of the body, close to directly in front of the chest. The
middle pitch, the hands are in front of the back shoulder, although still in front. The outside pitch the hands less in front of the body and can even be considered as casting a little.
For me, the first two Posey stills are pitcher's mistakes about to get crushed and picture still # 3 is Posey trying to survive a two strike pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414