"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I understand that is the overall movement pattern but what do you believe is the cause for them to go all forward?

I find that hitters who are in this pattern shorten/compress their front side during the leg kick or sometime during the stride and never really let it go or lengthen it out. Have you ever seen a hitter with upside down shoulders suffer from this pattern? When the rear shoulder is higher than the front shoulder during the move out. I believe this is what you write about often. That the lead side oblique never gets released? Do you know what effects this has on the lead leg/hip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the biggest causes of this pattern is focusing on keeping the weight back while attempting to move forward.. One never becomes leveraged since the weight is kept back and not released.. Its an easy feel to hang onto and can provide some power but it lacks a timing mechanism..

If one moves the feel sensor up to the core and allows the legs to be supporters timing issues go away, pulling off pitches goes away, and the rear leg/hip relationship is allowed to happen naturally.

One needs to release the up front stretch during the fyb part of the sequence.. This is what allows hitters to become leveraged into both legs while dynamically balanced.

Good example of not releasing into a leveraged position.. Instead he's trying to keep the weight back while striding forward and allowing the pitcher to control the ab.

Z31kfEG.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
M
I’m not sure I’m following the “Stride Ahead to Stay Behind Drill”. Do you actually want the head to go rearward or is it more of the hips going forward and the head stays in place? Like Elkins below?

Photo%20Apr%2030%2C%206%2039%2037%20PM.gif

Is this swing coiling as she goes forward OR is she just creating a linear move to stretch the body?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
One of the biggest causes of this pattern is focusing on keeping the weight back while attempting to move forward.. One never becomes leveraged since the weight is kept back and not released.. Its an easy feel to hang onto and can provide some power but it lacks a timing mechanism..

If one moves the feel sensor up to the core and allows the legs to be supporters timing issues go away, pulling off pitches goes away, and the rear leg/hip relationship is allowed to happen naturally.

One needs to release the up front stretch during the fyb part of the sequence.. This is what allows hitters to become leveraged into both legs while dynamically balanced.

Good example of not releasing into a leveraged position.. Instead he's trying to keep the weight back while striding forward and allowing the pitcher to control the ab.

Z31kfEG.gif

I see that hitter doing a few things that could cause him to be ABAF but trying to keep his weight back isn’t one of them. I don’t think it would be to far fetched to consider him to NOT be trying to keep his weight back. He needs an anchor of some sort. I believe the knee serves this purpose by trying not to advance forward, hold it in place over the foot. The other issue is that he actively turns his front shoulder down and in. This is what I was referring to in my last post. He is compressing his front side allowing slack to develop across the torso. This is the reason why he starts to fall forward. Theses two movements coupled together is a perfect storm IMO.

He probably had a coach tell him that the front shoulder needed to be turned down and in and just fall forward.

I believe if he would hold the back knee in place (try to keep it over the foot) and let the forward move pull the front shoulder down and in he would be in pretty good shape.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I see that hitter doing a few things that could cause him to be ABAF but trying to keep his weight back isn’t one of them. I don’t think it would be to far fetched to consider him to NOT be trying to keep his weight back. He needs an anchor of some sort. I believe the knee serves this purpose by trying not to advance forward, hold it in place over the foot. The other issue is that he actively turns his front shoulder down and in. This is what I was referring to in my last post. He is compressing his front side allowing slack to develop across the torso. This is the reason why he starts to fall forward. Theses two movements coupled together is a perfect storm IMO.

He probably had a coach tell him that the front shoulder needed to be turned down and in and just fall forward.

I believe if he would hold the back knee in place (try to keep it over the foot) and let the forward move pull the front shoulder down and in he would be in pretty good shape.

Sorry not following... His staying back is trying to control the move out with the rear leg IMO.. IOW's ride the rear leg until go time or range of motion within the rear leg/ hip is gone... The core is basically along for the ride while the rear leg/hip tries to control the sequence.. He's definetly not trying to beat the pitcher to his hitting position..

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Sorry not following... His staying back is trying to control the move out with the rear leg IMO.. IOW's ride the rear leg until go time or range of motion within the rear leg/ hip is gone... The core is basically along for the ride while the rear leg/hip tries to control the sequence.. He's definetly not trying to beat the pitcher to his hitting position..

Similar to the old Baseball Rebellion stuff then?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Do you have a video of the same hitter swinging at something as well as his 'style' for taking a pitch in this video?

May 12, 2016
?????
Help me out here I don’t get it.

giphy.gif

:).. I just saying hitters can still have awful sequence and poor posture and still get the barrel on plane with the pitch so they aren't hitting grounders.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I see no attempt to stay back whatsoever. Seems like he is in a hurry to get the front foot down early. JMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802