"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
So you believe that this is the position that Manny get's to all the time when hitting a pitch in that location.. that's this is his intended position to be in when hitting this pitch location? IMO, Manny's timing is way off here, he's definitely reaching, he should certainly be letting it get deeper here.
Come on Jul, of course this is not his intended hitting position. Manny is in sequence which allows his hands to resist longer. His adjustment was to continue to sink into his front knee while maintaining stretch. His COM still stayed behind his front leg. He had to reach. I’m not taking about reaching with my players. I’m talking about the upper body moving forward during rotation

Aug 20, 2017
Appreciate the help and kind words of encouragement. Adjustability is what we’re after. I agree telling a hitter to let it get deep can be taken many different ways. Trying to hit the ball between 5-6
I prefer let it get deep over hit it out front. Hit it out front will shift focus to the hands firing early jumping the sequence and creating a hitter with a steeper plane that will only allow them to hit balls hard out in front due to the barrel entering the zone later and exiting earlier

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Appreciate the help and kind words of encouragement. Adjustability is what we’re after. I agree telling a hitter to let it get deep can be taken many different ways. Trying to hit the ball between 5-6
:) Hard to be patient enough to see if she is a .400 hitter as she is. Good job Coach!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let it get deep = hit it with the core/body
Hit it out front = hit with your hands
Think this only relative to
How far is too far in front.
Or
How far is too deep.

For instance
Reaching = too far out front.
Or could be body mechanics limited range preventing contact.

This is where discussion of "how people approach hitting" differs and then "where to hit the ball."
Meaning "what mechanics can do"

As there is success with different mechanics
Hitting in all zone locations
Front, deep , in , out.

Can say what someone may prefer.
Cannot say what someone can achieve.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The swing should rotate around the head and spine Stride is linear, swing is rotational. Manny is not finishing his swing with his COM over his front knee. Got a couple players that will continue forward, linearly, during rotation and end up with COM over front knee at contact.

Sounds like some of the players are plagued with an ABAF pattern. Out of curiosity what type of launch sequence do you teach? Ground up or middle out, assuming you understand the lingo difference. What about the loading pattern? Middle out, pull the rubber band back, hold the rubber band back and stretch it forward, again assuming you know the lingo and understand the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2015
South East

What does the dot in the center of the clock represent, if anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016
Let it get deep = hit it with the core/body
Hit it out front = hit with your hands
You can't generalize this way.. you are hitting the ball with the barrel. Just because a ball is hammered out front doesn't mean you are hitting with just your hands

You think Fielder is just using his hands here

1591886481738.png

May 12, 2016
Come on Jul, of course this is not his intended hitting position. Manny is in sequence which allows his hands to resist longer. His adjustment was to continue to sink into his front knee while maintaining stretch. His COM still stayed behind his front leg. He had to reach. I’m not taking about reaching with my players. I’m talking about the upper body moving forward during rotation
My apologies, I am talking about hitting the ball in the right location with good timing, his timing was way off here and he should of let it get deeper, that's my point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01