"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The barrel gets to an outside pitch
befor an inside pitch.

The answer could be hitters choice.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Interesting replies.

Do you agree or disagree that you should hit an inside pitch more out in front of the plate than an outside pitch?

^^^^ That makes sense to me. I personally think that you should let the outside pitch get deeper than the inside pitch. So in that sense, letting the ball get deep can make sense.
That's a good question...... It depends on the hitter IMO, for my DD I want it pretty much the same. I want her trying to stay in the middle of the field and not trying to pull the inside pitch. I would say further out front for a pull hitter though........

May 12, 2016
Why wouldn't a hitter want to pull and inside pitch, take the outside to Oppo? I believe the idea contact location for inside pitch is further out front, outside pitch is back is behind the front foot. That's idea contact

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Why wouldn't a hitter want to pull and inside pitch, take the outside to Oppo? I believe the idea contact location for inside pitch is further out front, outside pitch is back is behind the front foot. That's idea contact

Because the odds of hitting it foul goes way up IMO... I’m not saying the ball won’t go to LF or RF just don’t attempt to put it there. I believe Bonds was a pull hitter, Miggy isn’t. After all we are talking about milliseconds between hitting it to CF or pull side. Why not give yourself a little breathing room..... IMO when most amateurs attempt to pull the ball they PULL the ball. Our definition of pull are probably a little different also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Because the odds of hitting it foul goes way up IMO... I’m not saying the ball won’t go to LF or RF just don’t attempt to put it there. I believe Bonds was a pull hitter, Miggy isn’t. After all we are talking about milliseconds between hitting it to CF or pull side. Why not give yourself a little breathing room..... IMO when most amateurs attempt to pull the ball they PULL the ball. Our definition of pull are probably a little different also.

I loved turning on the inside pitch (Baseball though).. For me its part of the hitting plan.. Early in the count I tried to stay middle of the field.. Hitters count (3-1, 2-0)I would cheat for pitches middle in.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
That's a good question...... It depends on the hitter IMO, for my DD I want it pretty much the same. I want her trying to stay in the middle of the field and not trying to pull the inside pitch. I would say further out front for a pull hitter though........

That is the mindset I want my daughter to have when she is batting.

Think middle and adjust to the pitch. Easy to say, not always easy to do.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I loved turning on the inside pitch.. For me its part of the hitting plan.. Early in the count I tried to stay middle of the field.. Hitters count (3-1, 2-0)I would cheat for pitches middle in.

Turning on the inside pitch can be hard for some to stay inside..... I see hitters get a little wide with their hands at times but to be honest I don’t think I see it nearly as often compared to the younger years. It may be time to look back into it and see what happens.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Turning on the inside pitch can be hard for some to stay inside..... I see hitters get a little wide with their hands at times but to be honest I don’t think I see it nearly as often compared to the younger years. It may be time to look back into it and see what happens.

Yea, I think staying inside the ball on inside pitches isn't difficult if one can get fyb.. The leveraged position allows the timing element that is missing with abaf movement pattern.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Thanks for starting the thread Julray.....

I hear it all the time “they need to let the ball travel more” or “let the ball get deeper”.

I can’t understand the point of wanting to actually make contact deep in relation to the body and IMO puts the hitter at a disadvantage by creating a tighter window of timing.

Is the ideal contact point actually deep in reference to the body?

What are the advantages to allowing the ball to get deep?

Also what is considered “deep”?

Is it meant to signal a mechanical flaw that is seen in the swing? If so, what is the most common flaw associated with the statement?

I will use Buster as an example. The bat looks to be entering the zone at pretty much the same time in relation to ball location for all three pitch locations... Contact looks to be in the same location in reference to depth

What am I missing here?

f7d1e2d9673c33e10eac68319d72c13a.png

6b97c610ea7383394ce9b7779efeb61c.png

The position of the back thigh at contact is a pretty constant indicator of the quality of the swing.

Noticed a few have been upset about an inside pitch getting pulled foul. The thigh is most likely behind the ball rather than in front as in Posey stills.

May 12, 2016

I’m not saying pull everything, I’m saying hit the ball where it’s pitched, if inside, a little out front, if outside and little back

Constantly fouling ball off is not a result of hitting the ball out front, it’s a result of bad mechanics... around the ball, instead through the ball. That being said, nothing wrong with thinking UTM and reacting inside and out

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA