Learning peel via "internal rotation thread" method

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
You want the ball to go down so your follow through should be low. .

Could you elaborate on this? Isn't it the spin that makes the ball break down? And wouldn't this spin be added to by the fingers pulling up behind the ball? And wouldn't a low follow through subtract from this? Low follow through sounds like the old push the ball down idea? I leave the rest of your question to Tx but this sentence puzzles me. Thanks. I should add the follow through doesn't affect the ball obviously and should be a result and unforced imo.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Could you elaborate on this? Isn't it the spin that makes the ball break down? And wouldn't this spin be added to by the fingers pulling up behind the ball? And wouldn't a low follow through subtract from this? Low follow through sounds like the old push the ball down idea? I leave the rest of your question to Tx but this sentence puzzles me. Thanks. I should add the follow through doesn't affect the ball obviously and should be a result and unforced imo.

Like I mentioned earlier, the angle of the pitch is more important than the spin on the pitch. Not that spin isn't important, but you need to make sure the proper angle is obtained. To prevent from pulling up on the ball and changing the angle of release, following through across your body ensures that the angle is not too far upwards. One of the best pitchers ever to put on a softball uniform, Michael White, throws his drop this way.

I agree that the follow through itself does nothing. However, to get to the follow through you need to be in the proper position to make the follow through happen. Thus the need to end in a certain position, guarantees a proper release point.

May 12, 2008
Like I mentioned earlier, the angle of the pitch is more important than the spin on the pitch.

Throw the wrong direction or without good spin you have squadoosh. Got to have both. The more spin-the more break. The more break, the higher the initial release angle in order to cross the plate where you want.

Not that spin isn't important, but you need to make sure the proper angle is obtained. To prevent from pulling up on the ball and changing the angle of release, .

Pulling up behind the ball doesn't dictate angle of release/initial trajectory.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Throw the wrong direction or without good spin you have squadoosh. Got to have both. The more spin-the more break. The more break, the higher the initial release angle in order to cross the plate where you want.

Makes sense.

Pulling up behind the ball doesn't dictate angle of release/initial trajectory.

Pulling up behind the ball takes off speed and the pitcher has a tendency to raise the release angle in the attempt to pull up. You get more rotation by snapping the ball than you do pulling up. None of the top (or even not so top) men's pitchers "pull up" on their drop balls. If it were more effective to do so you can better believe someone would do it. This method was invented by someone who never pitched a ball.

May 12, 2008
Pulling up behind the ball takes off speed and the pitcher has a tendency to raise the release angle in the attempt to pull up. You get more rotation by snapping the ball than you do pulling up. None of the top (or even not so top) men's pitchers "pull up" on their drop balls. If it were more effective to do so you can better believe someone would do it. This method was invented by someone who never pitched a ball.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing. Please elaborate on the difference in your definition of pulling up versus snapping up.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Perhaps we are saying the same thing. Please elaborate on the difference in your definition of pulling up versus snapping up.

I believe that leading with your thumb is the key. Seems to me that in "pulling up" the thumb would not be pointed down and towards home plate but pointed toward the third base side for a righthander.

May 12, 2008
I believe that leading with your thumb is the key. Seems to me that in "pulling up" the thumb would not be pointed down and towards home plate but pointed toward the third base side for a righthander.

I agree the thumb should be pointed toward home plate and the fingers behind the ball at release when the spin is determined though this is momentary given the turnover of the whipping loop. I agree with txsensei's treatment of this subject.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Prior to rotating the wrist inward yet during/after the elbow whip, would you say that the wrist is cocked back like you would cast a fishing rod?

I'm getting back to the infamous rock skipping motion and how it fits in.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Man, I feel like you just called my dog ugly and my kid lazy. Or something like that. :)

I'm trying to learn and understand the wrist snap aspect prior to the fingers getting behind the ball and don't know the "appropriate" vocabulary. Which doesn't help in my ability to frame a question to learn more.

Anyone have a clue as to what I'm trying to ask?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish