Leap and drag Vs. Step

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Cracking the whip at the exact right time

From what I have seen (and taught), it isn't the aggressive forward movement alone that generates the speed. It's also the blocking of the front side that stops the body but allows the arm to swing freely (whip).

Think of what happens when you're driving along a little too quickly down the road, then suddenly have to slam on the brakes. What happens to your body? It lurches forward, accelerated by the sudden stop. If you hit the car in front of you, which creates a more sudden stop, your body lurches forward faster and more violently. The faster you were going before you slammed on the brakes, the faster you will move forward.

It's the same with pitching. Your body is the car. The more quickly and powerfully it moves forward, the more momentum it generates. When the stride foot lands it's like slamming on the brakes. The arm is the "passenger" lurching forward after the sudden stop (as long as it remains loose).

Ken, I am going to respectfully disagree with your analogy because there is a little more to it than that.

One of the things I would teach my new leap and drag students do is to push their body backwards, about 6" to 12", an instant before they release the ball.

Their pivot foot has been dragged most of the way forward and then goes backwards 6 to 12 inches. This produces more of a whip action for the arm and maintains the force against the stride leg until after release. That is an important factor nobody ever talks about, maintaining the resistance until AFTER the ball is released.

The stride foot touches down, the stride knee bends just a little bit more and then straightens back out as their body is still on a backwards lean. Thus pushing them backwards a few inches as they are releasing the ball. They catch themselves quickly on the back leg.

If you continue forward to the point your are standing straight up at release you will have no choice but to take an extra step forward with your pivot foot to keep your balance, as there is no way to stop your body's momentum. If you do that, you just lost the whipping effect for speed and spin.

One foot must stay in front of the other to stop the momentum AND you must be on a slight backwards lean at that instant. If you do not do that you will not have anywhere near the resistance against the stride leg required for some pitches, especially the riseball.

Having a whip means very little, unless you can 'crack the whip' at the exact right instant to make it the most effective instrument it can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Hal, I don't think we're disagreeing at all. I'm talking about forward momentum being stopped suddenly, with the arm accelerating as it swings freely. I would agree that you're going to have some push back on the body as a result.

I think the analogy still works. It may not be perfect, but it illustrates the point. It's something I've found my students can relate to -- especially those who are not driving into the front leg, but instead driving past it.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Teaching them to develop resistance in the stride leg.

Hey Ken.

What I just laid out for you is also how you teach a young beginner how to put resistance against the stride leg.

If the stride knee is locked on landing, they cannot push backwards. This is a very common problem that this drill fixes.

If they are not on a slightly backwards lean at landing foot touchdown (If the center of their body weight is not behind the front foot at landing) they cannot stop the forward momentum, they walk through the pitch and lose that resistance and whip. This is also a common problem that this drill fixes.

Have fun with it and teach em good.

i use the leap and drag method and i prefer it because it helps you explode off of the pitching rubber and gives you a slight edge when pitching with it other than the step method.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Caitlin is an adult.

I don't know the 9 YO. It isn't my video.

Attachments

• Cullington.jpg
    Cullington.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 42
  • _O2N1949.jpg
    _O2N1949.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 39
  • _O2N7516.jpg
    _O2N7516.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Here's an example. Is it leap and drag or step? YouTube - Caitlin

Amy,

This young lady is throwing with a very weak step style.

When her stride leg starts to come forward, take notice of where the center of her body weight is in relatioinship to her pivot point. She is standing straight and tall and the center of her body weight is directly over the pivot point, A step style effort.

The center of your body weight must be well ahead of your pivot point before you start to push off for your body's forward momentum to pull the pivot foot (drag it) forward of the pivot point. This is not happening with this gal.

Her stride foot is touching down at virtually the same instant as her pivot foot is pulled forward a few inches. THE PIVOT LEG IS PLACING ZERO EFFORT INTO FORWARD DRIVE. It could not do so because the center of body weight is directly over the pivot point. The only direction this gal COULD push off to, is straight up.

The more forward the center of your body weight is WHEN you START your push off, the farther straight forward you will drive your body.

Timing is off also. Have her try and time it so the drive foot comes forward of the rubber at the exact same time as the ball comes forwards from the pivot leg. Dont let her slow down the stride to accomplish this, have her speed up the arm circle. That will pick her up a few MPH.

She needs to practice the 'Fall Forward Drill'.

Hal

Tips for the nine year old:
1) Use an 11 inch ball
2) Move up to 35 feet. (Actually, closer than 35 feet)

Young beginning pitchers should practice from a closer distance. Their body recruits some terrible contortions because they aren't strong enough to throw the 12 inch ball 40 feet. Start close---maybe 25 feet. Move back slowly---if the mechanics breakdown---move back up. Don't rush things on the very young/knew pitchers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13