Leap and drag Vs. Step

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

How's this one;

If the pivot foot loses contact with the rubber AFTER the stride foot has touched down, I have just seen a step style pitch.

If the pivot foot is PULLED forward of the rubber prior to the stride foot touching down, I have just seen a leap and drag style pitch.

I've only been saying it like this for 10 years. :)

Hal
I like your description. Very clear, simple, and understandable.
Rick

rex

Jan 24, 2009
Hal, I respect that you have been saying that for 10 years. But your reply is too simplistic and lacks the detailed technical aspects of the step method done correctly with power. I have seen a lot of girls pitch using the step method you described. I have seen only a couple who do it right.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, I respect that you have been saying that for 10 years. But your reply is too simplistic and lacks the detailed technical aspects of the step method done correctly with power. I have seen a lot of girls pitch using the step method you described. I have seen only a couple who do it right.

Hi Rex. Of course it is simple. I was giving the simplest DEFINITION of the two styles. Wasnt adding any sales pitch to either one, thats why it is so short and simple.

I have actually been saying that for around 35 years, but I have only been on the net for the last 10 of those.

If you want to sell step style to someone, be my guest. The definition of each stays the same.

I will add that there is a sort of 'Pitching Limbo' that a player can get into that is between the two styles. They are driving forward too strongly for their step style mechanics to accomodate but not driving forward strong enough to have the best L&D mechanics either.

I have seen alot of frustrated pitchers at that exact point. Other instructors have sent students to me just to fix that exact thing.:D

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
ok coaches. if you could explain the Step in more detail, it would help me. We have a pitcher that was taught the Step style and yet I believe she is mixed between as Halskinner describes..... On her sride foot step (assumption is it is a shorter stride and concentration is NOt on the exposion of the stride, but more of stepping off the rubber and exploding from pivot foot - leg drive, and main concentration on her arm circle from the downside? I am NOT clear, so greatly appreciate someone explaining or posting a link demonstrating. (I predominately see and only teach L&D.)

Thank you.

Mar 15, 2009
NC
Leap/Step

In regards to taking a giant leap and dragging or stepping, one should look closely at the type of player you are working with. Tall, short, etc. Whatever that player's ability does best w/comfort should suffice. One of the main reasons she needs to feel comfortable is due to the fact that the hip must release from the push properly to work with the snap. By leaping long and dragging, check to see how her arm whip sets up w/hip for maximum pop on the ball. I find a tendency that taller means farther and shorter is closer. I have been teaching pitching for a while and have had excellent success w/both by letting them tell you where they feel good and working from there.
Also, as a player develops and ages, she usually makes these adjustments on her own.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Maybe it would help to start with determining what the desired result is with the stride. You can demonstrate the advantage of the resistance to momentum by having the girls pitch legally from the rubber and clock the speed. Providing the firm front side is constant, you can then have the girls walk as fast as they can and pitch. The pitch with increased momentum will gain from 2 to 5 mph demonstrating the advantage of the resistance to the increased momentum.

You can increase momentum several ways, to drive aggressively off of the mound or to bring the leg high and use body weight to come down hard. Driving off of the mound requires athleticism and the coordination and you can be developed it through repetition like anything else.

For larger and/or less athletic athletes coming down hard using your weight can develop resistance to the downward momentum effecting the acceleration of the arm through the release resulting in increased ball speed.

Click here and get some great free drills. Enjoy

A spiritual bump from the late and great John Gay! Also, read the posts from Bill and Rick in this thread as well.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
A spiritual bump from the late and great John Gay! Also, read the posts from Bill and Rick in this thread as well.

Nice find!

My daughter's coach played for him BITD. We were in the gym tonight with our daughters and reminisced time spent with him. The kids always had a blast with him--especially when he broke loose with the trick pitches. We threw a few in his honor!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2013
My pitching coach has worked with Lisa Fernades, Cat Osterman, and ect. He tells me to kick the pumpkin off the post. This is like an up, out, push, and drag. The higher and stronger you kick your leg the more effective your pitch will be. Idk I hope this answers your question.:)

I hadn't heard this - kind of like it - maybe kick the pumpkin off the bucket for more of a height visual??

Jan 22, 2011

Thank you for the bump. Last night I was thinking I needed to search through old threads to find his pitching handouts so I could add that to the Hillhouse/Javasource/Pauly/Balswick information I point parents of pitchers to.

Complete Pitching Clinics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478