Leadoff?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Not questioning your experience or results, but if sideways was faster, then olympic sprinters would start that way.

Look at Ken's thread, he's the one who did the science. I'm just the messenger. I believe it's faster because the kids are closer to the base when they start when they are sideways. I didn't believe it either at first and it took some convincing.

-W

Jan 18, 2011
Star could you link the thread? I'm gonna need convincing also. I'm not saying it wrong but sure goes against what I've experienced. I'm a ex-drag racer, (ex because I can't afford anymore :)). From that experience I know that in a race a moving start is better and faster than a stationary start.

I would suspect you would time when the foot leaves the base until the next base is touched. With the sprinter position, you would in all purposes get that moving start.

I usually let the athlete decide but I prefer sprinter style.

I let them decide because if they they feel (which ever style) is faster and they are convince it's faster, well then it is faster. I believe the timing has to be within milliseconds of each other anyway. Of course I have no data to back that up, just gut feeling and experience.

Jul 17, 2012
I don't need a stopwatch. I can guarantee you if you let me start my motion, sprinter style, front foot on the bag and the sideways guy also cant leave the bag until the same split second. If we both time it perfectly... I'll beat Ricky Henderson in the first 20 feet....every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles