Leadoff?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Different for every player. Get a stopwatch and experiment. Coaches that insist on one way are more interested in branding their players then teaching them.

-W

May 17, 2012
Different for every player. Get a stopwatch and experiment. Coaches that insist on one way are more interested in branding their players then teaching them.

-W

It's called coaching philosophy.

You want to do it your way? No problem. If you get out because you had a late jump doing it your way, then we have a problem.

Jan 25, 2011
It's called coaching philosophy.

You want to do it your way? No problem. If you get out because you had a late jump doing it your way, then we have a problem.
Okay, What if she gets out doing it your way.:D I had too. That is why I asked, to get more ideas and how much does the leadoff style effect diff. players. I wonder as a coach if the leadoff that the player uses should be more up to the player, then the coach?

Jun 24, 2013
Dad on our Team was thrown out of a baseball game last year when he pushed his son off first base, he probably would have gotten away with it if his son did not fall on the field. :) That what I feel like doing some times. If the runner is getting an aggressive lead off I do not care how they accomplish it. For the other players sprinters stance.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Coaches that insist on one way are more interested in branding their players then teaching them.

There are cases when ''one way'' is better and should be insisted upon. I'm sure that we all insist that our batters grip the bat at the handle and not at the barrel when hitting, for silly example.

Is the style in which a player leaves a base one of those cases?

Probably, imo, but I don't know. I would think it could be proven with experimentation. But it's not enough to time players doing it both ways. It would be necessary to time players doing it both ways CORRECTLY. My experience has been that starting with one foot behind the base is the best approach -- if the runner does it correctly and times the pitcher. But that's not always easy to get kids to do, IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone have a study that show which ways is faster?

Ken Krause posted a study a few years ago in his section of this forum. A lot of us responded. What most found was that some kids are faster one way and some kids faster another. By faster it varies by how you time it. While someone might be physically faster with one type of leadoff, that same person may need some type of stimulus, like a rocker start, to actually time the pitch and get to the base "faster" overall.

As for pure physicality, the baseball style sideways leadoff actually proved faster then having the lead leg on the front edge of the bag in a sprinters stance. The advantage of the sprinters stance is that the players foot remains in contact with the bag for the first stride, so there is more room for timing errors and "early" starts. That said, even when timed from when the rear foot left the bag, the sideways lead was faster.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ken Krause posted a study a few years ago in his section of this forum. A lot of us responded. What most found was that some kids are faster one way and some kids faster another. By faster it varies by how you time it. While someone might be physically faster with one type of leadoff, that same person may need some type of stimulus, like a rocker start, to actually time the pitch and get to the base "faster" overall.

As for pure physicality, the baseball style sideways leadoff actually proved faster then having the lead leg on the front edge of the bag in a sprinters stance. The advantage of the sprinters stance is that the players foot remains in contact with the bag for the first stride, so there is more room for timing errors and "early" starts. That said, even when timed from when the rear foot left the bag, the sideways lead was faster.

-W

Not questioning your experience or results, but if sideways was faster, then olympic sprinters would start that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles