Leadoff?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Okay, since we have a thread going on right now about, the player from Bama and if she left to soon or not? Let's dust off the good old Leadoff styles. What do you coaches prefer or not, how about some clips and facts or crap.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well.... We must first, shortly after they are potty-trained, we must get them running around in the right direction...

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Love the cute stuff, but I want to see some opinions. So since I am incapable of keeping mine to myself, I'll chime in. I am not a fan of the whole lean back and forth with the pitcher's motion to time it. I think it is just extra motion. I say watch the pitcher during warmups and get an idea of her motion, then assume a good, loaded stance and start pushing at 12 o clock. it takes about 15/100ths of a second for a pitcher to release from here and that is about the same time from push to launch for most runners.

edit: aside from sheer speed, I think base running savvy is the most undervalued skill in FP and would like to see more on it.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Then they have to swear that they will never commit these errors....

AWESOME !!!!!!!

Reminds me of DD's first at bat at 4.5 years old. First swing she hits a grounder to SS. She takes off running......... to third !

She stood on third confused for what seemed like an eternity to us, then finally listened to the coach and ran to home plate. She stood there for a few seconds. Then she saw the 1B coach (me) waving her to to first, so she ran to first and then on to second safely. So her first at bat was a double !!! :)

Old school, when the game was just about learning and fun!
Miss those times.

May 17, 2012
Love the cute stuff, but I want to see some opinions. So since I am incapable of keeping mine to myself, I'll chime in. I am not a fan of the whole lean back and forth with the pitcher's motion to time it. I think it is just extra motion.

Not only is this effective it's the best way to avoid being (too) late. The number one issue with stealing is that girls leave the base too late. It's such a natural motion; when the arm comes down and hits the leg you steal.

I smile when I see girls in D1 still doing it out of habit.

Combine this with the rock-start and it's the most efficient way to steal a base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28