Know a great softball kid who could use a smile?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. I have one. She was my pitching student, last year. Her parents work, but they paid me little by little. Their grandma helped me, so I in turn helped them.

And as it seems happens all too often, their toddler was recently diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes. I have offered to coach the 9yo girl for free, but they will not accept charity.

Recently, I saw pics of "my student" smiling at the county fair, as her guinea pig won reserve champion.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
So sad...that kid needs more than a new bat! She needs to be adopted by a hearty softball family!

I am doing what I can. I bought her a new bat this year (FS1) and paid for her uniform. She gets rides with various parents and sleeps over with players' families many nights. I wish I had a way to help more.

Oct 10, 2011
First I would like to thank Coresoftball for going the extra mile to help someone in need. We could use a few million more like him in this world! I won't go into details about this young lady but after losing her mother last year to cancer and having to help her Grandmother raise her little brother- she has remained one of the sweetest young ladies I have ever met-and unfortunatley that's only part of what she's had to go through. Also, her mother had been the president of our local rec organization for awhile and was a wonderful woman.
This young lady be going from a 30" bat from Walmart (she's 5'5") to a sweet 32-10 CF8. Who knew a bat could bring tears to so many people's eyes in one day! I got to spend some time with her grandmother and got to look at a lot photos that got me all choked up. I'm looking forward to hearing how she reacts when she gets to open the box next week!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
First I would like to thank Coresoftball for going the extra mile to help someone in need. We could use a few million more like him in this world! I won't go into details about this young lady but after losing her mother last year to cancer and having to help her Grandmother raise her little brother- she has remained one of the sweetest young ladies I have ever met-and unfortunatley that's only part of what she's had to go through. Also, her mother had been the president of our local rec organization for awhile and was a wonderful woman.
This young lady be going from a 30" bat from Walmart (she's 5'5") to a sweet 32-10 CF8. Who knew a bat could bring tears to so many people's eyes in one day! I got to spend some time with her grandmother and got to look at a lot photos that got me all choked up. I'm looking forward to hearing how she reacts when she gets to open the box next week!

Any chance of posting an update when this happens? I would love to hear about it. And to Coresoftball20...Thank You for doing this. It seems to me that this game and it's extended family brings out the best in many people. Of course, it also brings out the "crazy" in many parents;)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Any chance of posting an update when this happens? I would love to hear about it. And to Coresoftball20...Thank You for doing this. It seems to me that this game and it's extended family brings out the best in many people. Of course, it also brings out the "crazy" in many parents also;)

I sure will!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Any chance of posting an update when this happens? I would love to hear about it. And to Coresoftball20...Thank You for doing this. It seems to me that this game and it's extended family brings out the best in many people. Of course, it also brings out the "crazy" in many parents;)

Nothing to do with me man, I'm just glad I am in the position to be able to lend a hand once in a while when I can. Nothing beats
seeing a great kid honestly smile after being dealt a rough hand in life.
And this young girl had a story I could relate to personally.

Jul 10, 2011
I once was one of those kids who grew up on hard times. I'm thankful for the people who helped my family back then, and also realize how fortunate I am to be in the position (and have my health, which my father didn't ) to give my kids a better life.

Thank you Core, for doing this....you da' man.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2011
This is a great thread.

I just spent 30 minutes typing about the most wonderful family we have played with, they can not afford to do any of it but make a lot of sacrifices and get it done so their DD has the chance to play, and hopefully get some higher education in the process.

I deleted it, after reading what i had typed I felt like I was doing them wrong by telling anyone.

Oct 10, 2011

THE BAT ARRIVED!
So I was sitting at the game yesterday and this young lady had just hit the ball but it was a weak roller to the pitcher and she was thrown out. Her grandmother walked up after showing up a little late and she was all excited because the bat had arrived. She said she shouldn't have done it, but she was excited, so she opened the box to look at the bat. She said "It's so pretty!" I told her she just missed her granddaughter's up at bat. After she heard the result, she said "well, I brought it with me, I'll go tell her." As soon as her granddaughter heard, she said to PLEASE GO GET IT!
Just to let you know, this girl has been really struggling with hitting. Most of her balls have been staying in the infield so they had just started having her bunt (she had attempted on her first up at bat before swinging away). She's not a power hitter but has really good speed. She gets up to bat the next time with her new CF8 and smokes a line drive to right field for a single. Her next up at bat was a line drive deep left for a double and then ends up with another single off another line drive. So 3 for 3 with her new bat and it sounds like this was her best outing in a long time. I didn't get to see her after the game because it was raining and they had a meeting, but I got several hugs from her Grandma again and my DD said that this young lady was so happy and wouldn't stop talking about how much she loved the bat.
I don't think this night could have gone any better for her thanks to Coresoftball.
"Big round of applause!!!":D:D:D

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is a fabulous story with a great ending. Makes me proud to be a part of such an incredible community. Thanks to all of you for all you do for the players in your charge. And thanks CoreSoftball20 for your generosity, and IMLearning for sharing that story.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1