Where are all the dads?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The moms do ALL the communicating with us coaches. It all just seems odd to me.
This is true. I am sure it is no surprise that women in general are more willing to communicate ...are you married? ;)

If it was up to me, everybody would just sleep in their cars for travel tournaments.. 🤣

In terms of Dads working with their kids, DFP is going to be an outlier there but even when I was growing up a lot of Dads didn't work with their kids, boys or girls. However kids played a lot more unorganized baseball back then. I had a friend who never played organized baseball (parents didn't have any money at all) until he got to HS and ended up making the team.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
This is true. I am sure it is no surprise that women in general are more willing to communicate ...are you married? ;)

If it was up to me, everybody would just sleep in their cars travel for tournaments.. 🤣

In terms of Dads working with their kids, DFP is going to be an outlier there but even when I was growing up a lot of Dads didn't work with their kids, boys or girls. However kids played a lot more unorganized baseball back then. I had a friend who never played organized baseball (parents didn't have any money at all) until he got to HS and ended up making the team.
My yard as a kid (mid 80's, early 90's) was 75ft wide and we played baseball with a tennis ball. The lone outfielder stood past the fence in the next yard...lol. There was a permanent dirt spot where all the baseball and kickball at-bats took place. :)

May 20, 2015
our rec league tends to be close to 50/50 M/F coaches......for us the bigger issue is getting anyone to volunteer these days

not everyone is ABLE to commit, and of the ones that can, few want to.......we have a hard time getting folks to do their 1 or 2 shifts in the snack shack, which helps keep our league costs low......

Jun 8, 2016
My yard as a kid (mid 80's, early 90's) was 75ft wide and we played baseball with a tennis ball. The lone outfielder stood past the fence in the next yard...lol. There was a permanent dirt spot where all the baseball and kickball at-bats took place. :)
There were a lot less things to do back then. I was watching a video that Trosky baseball put out a few months back. He goes down to the Dominican quite often and he said he has even seen a change over the 20 years he has been going down there. A lot less wall ball, street ball etc then there use to be.

May 17, 2012
I find it interesting the large number of rec players that have never played or seen a game of baseball/softball when they signup.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
249E3218-EB8A-41F8-A77C-D7FD4E9AC095.jpeg
Across the street from my childhood home, the home run wall.

On dads, our town rec is dying, but for lack of kids, not volunteers. Historically it was about 70/30 dad/mom coach ratio.

May 1, 2018
1. More and more people travel for work. This makes it hard for them to commit to coaching. 2. Less and less people know anything about softball or baseball. So while they be comfortable "helping out" they don't want the HC responsibilities.

Oct 4, 2018
When my girls are adults and the house is quiet, I think I'll volunteer to coach rec softball. Probably 10U-ish.

I'll get there 4 hours early for anyone who wants extra BP or practice.

Jul 14, 2018
When my girls are adults and the house is quiet, I think I'll volunteer to coach rec softball. Probably 10U-ish.

I’ve often thought about umpiring rec at that level when DD is done. I’ve seen some great umps who make the game fun when kids are just learning.

I think the umpire shortage is even more critical than the coach shortage, but when I see the abuse so many umps take I just can’t imagine doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I’ve often thought about umpiring rec at that level when DD is done. I’ve seen some great umps who make the game fun when kids are just learning.

I think the umpire shortage is even more critical than the coach shortage, but when I see the abuse so many umps take I just can’t imagine doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. I was all about umping in retirement. I have nothing much else to do, love the game, want to make girls fall in love with the game.

But the parents...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi