knob cuff. Legal for play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Does a bat pass inspection and is it legal to bat with a tapered knob cuff properly applied? Does it make a difference if it is covered by the grip/wrap? Let's say NFHS and/or ASA. I can't seem to locate convincing language one way or another, though I'm sure it's out there. Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
NFHS 1-5art 2-a attachments or wrapping that cause the knob of the bat to become flush with the handle are permitted.

ASA 3-1-D Any attachment such as a molded finger grip, flare cone or choke up device must be attached with grip tape.

May 17, 2012
NFHS 1-5art 2-a attachments or wrapping that cause the knob of the bat to become flush with the handle are permitted.

ASA 3-1-D Any attachment such as a molded finger grip, flare cone or choke up device must be attached with grip tape.

So as long as I tape my Zepp swing analyzer on the end it's legal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2008
Have no idea what it is but according to the rule if it is a device similar to what is listed and is taped on it would be legal.

May 17, 2012
images.jpg

It looks like that. I will tape it so it doesn't fall out, just curious on the legality. It has nothing to do with hitting, it just records the swing metrics.

Apr 4, 2015
View attachment 7844

It looks like that. I will tape it so it doesn't fall out, just curious on the legality. It has nothing to do with hitting, it just records the swing metrics.

That device would not be approved because that then reforms the knob of the bat, and is not a part of the bat itself or an aid to help the batter adjust to the way the bat lies within there hands. It wouldn't be able to be taped down by grip and that is a training aid to analyze your swing. It is not have declared approved by the ASA, USSSA, NSA stamps because it is physically not apart of the bat at time of manufacture. That would be an adjustment to the bat post manufacturing so the bat would be declared unfit for play. Not to mention it could be thrown out for safety do to it not being held down by athletic tape and/or grip, if it was to come off during time of play it can be considered a safety hazard and could possibly interfere.

Jun 22, 2008
That device would not be approved because that then reforms the knob of the bat, and is not a part of the bat itself or an aid to help the batter adjust to the way the bat lies within there hands. It wouldn't be able to be taped down by grip and that is a training aid to analyze your swing. It is not have declared approved by the ASA, USSSA, NSA stamps because it is physically not apart of the bat at time of manufacture. That would be an adjustment to the bat post manufacturing so the bat would be declared unfit for play. Not to mention it could be thrown out for safety do to it not being held down by athletic tape and/or grip, if it was to come off during time of play it can be considered a safety hazard and could possibly interfere.

And no choke up device, cone or finger grip has any approved stamp either. And a cone does in fact reshape the knob of the bat and is legal based on the rules posted. The rules used to not allow any type of attachments or reshaping of the knob, but since those rules have changed, until Im told otherwise I personally do not see a problem with it if it is taped on securely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA