Just when you think you couldn't be more confused.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Looks like Barry is whipping the barrel.

XvK56va.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Yeah. It’s a release drill. Feeling your hands releasing early and later. As well as adjusting the hands IN to stay through the ball. He even spoke of some guys do it with a ‘ no stride’. Good stuff.

Both guys are talking about hands. Not the barrel. Big leaguers know what they do.

Not feel and real. Not directed at you. Just the guys on DFP who don’t get it. I’ll keep trying til they do. Or I get bored. Lol.

Thanks. I am still trying to get it as well. I just dont understand if you put the ball in that position, let's say the inside position, and you dont stand in your normal spot, i wouldn't think it would be realistic to hit the ball that deep and that inside. I understand a drill is a drill, but i get confused when a person is supposed to be able to make contact in a certain way with what i thought was the same set up, and it's not, because he moved his feet.

Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that these types of things are confusing if one is trying to learn and nothing is constant.

Just like when asking about certain swings, it many times is mentioned that it isn't this or it isn't that strictly because the pitch is in a different location and you can't look at this or that because of the pitch.

I will ask it here but but not sure if i need to start another thread. I am curious, given all the hitters shown in the Model Thread, i still have yet to truly hear one player that most agree on has a Model Swing. Miggy was called out in a recent thread that he was big but doesn't use hips well (he was one of my Models). I just wished there would be one hitter everyone could agree on.

Any takers to throw one out there?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There was a drill in the crystal bustos tapes a long time ago that showed her hammering down with her top hand(with a bat choked up) on the tee like it was a nail. I would start there. And progress to the Ryan Braun drill to the Mike Lowell drill. I would learn everything you can about hand path. As well as search the web for PRO instructors speaking of what they teach as far as the body. Jmho.

May 12, 2016
Feel vs real.... who gives a shirt really? I've heard so many pros, past and present claim what Trout is claiming. I've heard successful hitters like Chameberlain explain that her hitting coach changed her life/career by telling her straight line to the ball, A to B. Honestly, these great hitters all say the same thing. What's more important, result.. or the approach that causes the result?

Are these great hitters taking a straight line to the ball with the barrel cocked and loaded, releasing the barrel into the ball at the appropriate time/location?

I think I am starting to get a really good grasp on how the body should move/progress, but barrel path is still a mystery to me.

Like I said, I'm confused

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks. I am still trying to get it as well. I just dont understand if you put the ball in that position, let's say the inside position, and you dont stand in your normal spot, i wouldn't think it would be realistic to hit the ball that deep and that inside. I understand a drill is a drill, but i get confused when a person is supposed to be able to make contact in a certain way with what i thought was the same set up, and it's not, because he moved his feet.

Not trying to be argumentative, just saying that these types of things are confusing if one is trying to learn and nothing is constant.

Just like when asking about certain swings, it many times is mentioned that it isn't this or it isn't that strictly because the pitch is in a different location and you can't look at this or that because of the pitch.

I will ask it here but but not sure if i need to start another thread. I am curious, given all the hitters shown in the Model Thread, i still have yet to truly hear one player that most agree on has a Model Swing. Miggy was called out in a recent thread that he was big but doesn't use hips well (he was one of my Models). I just wished there would be one hitter everyone could agree on.

Any takers to throw one out there?

I get it. The tee way inside and deep is to train your hands to stay close to your body. Nothing more. Actually Derek Jeter made a career of it. Over 3000 knocks. Just sayin.

It’s once again to prove how deep you can hit the ball. And to train a tight hand path.

I believe the feet moving wasn’t the point. The tees set ups were extreme and just a training aid and visual for the audience to see how to work. Its called ‘long through the zone’.

Hes an old pro that knows what he’s doing.

Did you see how far in the tee was? How about how far back it was? How about how low effort his swings were. He is just talking about training his hand path/barrel path. Loose hands whipping the barrel at all locations in the zone. When the hands work right the swing is so beautiful.

The model thread was a nice thought. But remember this is a public forum. Opinions may vary. People post what they like. Not what is correct.

Miggy s lower half is great. Because he ‘scissor’ swings, sometimes his hips don’t come all the way through. Not a big deal. Actually its his approach. He’s not a ‘puller’. He’s an inside out guy. Again a public forum. It’s gets muddy sometimes.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
It’s once again to prove how deep you can hit the ball. And to train a tight hand path.

I believe the feet moving wasn’t the point. The tees set ups were extreme and just a training aid and visual for the audience to see how to work. Its called ‘long through the zone’.

W=W, thank you again. I appreciate the feedback, as you have been one that i have followed that has brought me back around to certain things. Which is why i question some of these posts. The section i quoted is my hang up, if this is proving how deep you can hit the ball, then it is not 'real' since he moves his feet back in the box for purposes of the drill. If he could hit the ball that deep with the effortless swing, then he would be able to stand in the same spot. Moving his feet was the only way he could do it. He probably couldn't get 'through the zone' without doing that.

Again, i truly am just trying to understand, but for a person trying to learn, it is things like this that exactly cause the issues i put on my DD.

i am not saying i disagree with the thoughts, its just that he is changing a variable in his equation to get the result he wants, which is to show he can hit the ball into a certain range.

Again, thank you for the dialogue. I appreciate the insight and feedback.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Feel vs real.... who gives a shirt really? I've heard so many pros, past and present claim what Trout is claiming. I've heard successful hitters like Chameberlain explain that her hitting coach changed her life/career by telling her straight line to the ball, A to B. Honestly, these great hitters all say the same thing. What's more important, result.. or the approach that causes the result?

Are these great hitters taking a straight line to the ball with the barrel cocked and loaded, releasing the barrel into the ball at the appropriate time/location?

I think I am starting to get a really good grasp on how the body should move/progress, but barrel path is still a mystery to me.

Like I said, I'm confused
[/QUOTE

The hands control the barrel. Barrel path is dictated by what the hands do with it.

‘MASS follows FORCE’ -pro speed baseball

You asked me about him before. ^^^

I watched some of his stuff. Not bad at all. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd