Just when you think you couldn't be more confused.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Ummm...yeah, it is......

I can be pedantic too - those rides you are posting are various flavors of Trabant rides. Tilt-a-Whirl is a copyrighted brand name for a specific ride - which I posted above.

From now on you can refer to the swing path as a Trabant. :p (It just flows off the tongue...)

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I can be pedantic too
Why youuuu, throwing them big words around..........

giphy.gif

Nov 16, 2017
I think the queue of down to the ball is to prevent one of the worst thing you can do as a batter and that is dropping the hands early or getting disconnected where the hands make a downward move first. If in your mind you are going down the the ball at all times there is no way you will drop your hands under.

Down to the ball is a "trick" to keeping the hands high.

This to me is a better way of understanding and fixing early disconnection where the hands drop.

This video at 2:05

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I think the queue of down to the ball is to prevent one of the worst thing you can do as a batter and that is dropping the hands early or getting disconnected where the hands make a downward move first. If in your mind you are going down the the ball at all times there is no way you will drop your hands under.

Down to the ball is a "trick" to keeping the hands high.

This to me is a better way of understanding and fixing early disconnection where the hands drop.

This video at 2:05

Someone has been thinking critically 🙂

Iyo. What happens when the hands drop prematurely?

Nov 16, 2017
Someone has been thinking critically 🙂

Iyo. What happens when the hands drop prematurely?

I can tell you I have seen it 4 billion times. Kids will have some off and on success with balls low in the zone, but anything belt high or higher, forget about it.

Technically it is the result of not getting the top hand elbow under and the lead arm up above the plane of the pitch. AKA TTB.

I feel TTB is a more accurate description of what is actually happening and swing down is more of a queue (to batters who already have learned how to get to a good launch position) to not get disconnected / under the ball.

In context I guess it could give you a desired result, however the true level of understanding would not be there. For me that is sort of like teaching for the test vs. mastering the material.

May 12, 2016
I can tell you I have seen it 4 billion times. Kids will have some off and on success with balls low in the zone, but anything belt high or higher, forget about it.

Technically it is the result of not getting the top hand elbow under and the lead arm up above the plane of the pitch. AKA TTB.

I feel TTB is a more accurate description of what is actually happening and swing down is more of a queue (to batters who already have learned how to get to a good launch position) to not get disconnected / under the ball.

In context I guess it could give you a desired result, however the true level of understanding would not be there. For me that is sort of like teaching for the test vs. mastering the material.
If a kid can control their body(tilt of their torso) ,they won't even have to think about TTB to get to any pitch, high or low.... of course the hands are important as well, I just don't think focusing on TTB should be the primary goal when considering pitch location, high or low. JMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish