Just when you think you couldn't be more confused.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It takes some time, but there are a lot of really good threads. And even more good threads on BBD. In fact, if you go to BBD and find the "New Member Intro Thread" there is a ton of great material. Yes, you need to week your way through the same old garbage. But when you start ignoring all the white noise, there is a lot of great content available. If you are not interested in wading through all the garbage (and I can certainly understand that), then simply pick someone who seems to makes sense to you (such as Matt Antonelli, Justin Stone, Bobby Tewksbary, or someone else) and dive in. At that point completely ignore all the hitting forums and the mixed messages you receive there. Find one message and stick with it. There are different ways of doing this and the choice is yours.

I pretty much went about it the same way. I would definitely try too match the pros jargon as well. It takes time. Teach. Hit. Video. Look for a match. Inquire to members I thought were on my wavelength. Repeat.

I’m not saying I think my kids swing is perfect. But the fundamentals are there. There isn’t a strike she can’t hit well. Which gives her consistency. Most of the time I’m fixing something overbaked(by her own doing, only twice this season :) refreshing) or refining her approach at the plate as well as strategy.

As others have said.. It is a journey. Keep at it. When you get to where you want to go... it’s worth it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Almost all hitters ttb. Mookie never swings like that in a game. Some ttb earlier and more dynamically and deeper in the zone. Some later and more out in front. Some have the barrel sorta pre turned (Brett). The goal is to get the barrel on plane for the longest distance giving hitter the best opprituniy for contact. Experiment with it. Young girls can never snap it like TM demostrates. They would dump the barrel and might even hurt themselves. With my DD we play with it. Keeps the hands loose and creates a feel of barrel awareness and whip and throw. We start with extreme ttb with the barrel head pointing at the pitcher. Maybe 4 or 5 tee swings. Helps understand and feel the swivel/pivot. Come game time it is reduced to a waggle promoting loose grip. Its not amatter of ttb or not. All ttb. No sucessful hitter swing the barrel down on the ball in order to create backspin.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Almost all hitters ttb. Mookie never swings like that in a game. Some ttb earlier and more dynamically and deeper in the zone. Some later and more out in front. Some have the barrel sorta pre turned (Brett). The goal is to get the barrel on plane for the longest distance giving hitter the best opprituniy for contact. Experiment with it. Young girls can never snap it like TM demostrates. They would dump the barrel and might even hurt themselves. With my DD we play with it. Keeps the hands loose and creates a feel of barrel awareness and whip and throw. We start with extreme ttb with the barrel head pointing at the pitcher. Maybe 4 or 5 tee swings. Helps understand and feel the swivel/pivot. Come game time it is reduced to a waggle promoting loose grip. Its not amatter of ttb or not. All ttb. No sucessful hitter swing the barrel down on the ball in order to create backspin.

I understand. But there are different definitions of TTB. There’s an ‘unloading’ and a ‘loading’ of the barrel. In both the barrel does gets ‘turnt’. BUT there are 2 very different results.

If you follow models from most internet gurus then you are unloading the barrel or ‘getting behind the ball deep’ with ‘speed deep’. Which makes ‘ON TOP’ a head scratcher.

If you follow what the pros say you most likely are loading the barrel and creating a ‘short to route to the ball ‘with speed created deep’ but from an angle that is adjustable(think control) for a bit longer.

The way you described it, makes it seem like you are a proponent of the former. Reason being is your saying young girls will/can get injured etc when attempting the action you describe. Would you mind describing why this is so maybe some light can be shed on what this leads too and the fixes for this ‘injury prone’ theory?

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you follow models from most internet gurus then you are unloading the barrel or ‘getting behind the ball deep’ with ‘speed deep’. Which makes ‘ON TOP’ a head scratcher.

The new MLB model is go big or go home.

"We start with extreme ttb with the barrel head pointing at the pitcher. Maybe 4 or 5 tee swings. "

These are not full speed tee drills. Maybe 70%. More feel and exploration. There is a gif of a college aged player doing this quite impressively. Fun to watch if somebody (rdb) could post it. Girls hands and wrist simply are not generally strong enough to crank the barrel around as TM demonstrates. They will drop their hands and go under the ball. When doing tee work be sure to put the tee up high.

Two extremes: think Gary Sheffield and George Brett. Both successful. Most girls would benefit from emulating Brett more than Sheffield.

Let me throw this monkey wrench into the discussion. One legged hitters are going to TTB earlier and more aggressively hitting the ball deeper in the zone and two legged hitters more passively and later hitting the ball out in front more often. The reason I say often is you can find the same batter hitting off their back leg one day and using both legs the next day. Hitting a ball moving 95 mph or 75 mph causes all kinds of adjustment in real time. I am a Angels fan so I see Mike Trout (poetry in motion) and Andrelton Simmons (not so pretty but effective)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish