Just for fun 2: Another odd obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Here is another odd obstruction play from a championship game a few years ago:

Runners on second (R2) and third (R3). Passed ball/wild pitch and both runners break for the next base. R2 is obstructed by the shortstop, but reaches third base.

R3 was about 15 feet from home plate and decided she wouldn’t beat the catcher’s throw to the pitcher, so she turns tail and returns back to third base also.

Defense throws the ball down to third and tags R3 and then R2.

What do you have?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here is another odd obstruction play from a championship game a few years ago:

Runners on second (R2) and third (R3). Passed ball/wild pitch and both runners break for the next base. R2 is obstructed by the shortstop, but reaches third base.
R3 was about 15 feet from home plate and decided she wouldn’t beat the catcher’s throw to the pitcher, so she turns tail and returns back to third base also.
Defense throws the ball down to third and tags R3 and then R2.
What do you have?

Ok - here is what I got.

Obstruction only protects the runner BETWEEN the bases - once they have achieved the base they would have made without the obstruction, the obstruction is off.

Since the obstructed runner (R2) has reached the base they would have reached, the obstruction is removed and we now just have a situation where we have two players trying to occupy the same base which always has the trail runner in jeporday.
In this case the lead runner(R3) is entitled to the base so the trail runner is out (R2 is out).

Another way to think about this... if R3 proceeded home and was thrown out, she would be out no matter what happened with R2. So the obstruction on R2 doesn't protect the actions of R3.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Obstruction only protects the runner BETWEEN the bases - once they have achieved the base they would have made without the obstruction, the obstruction is off.

Since the obstructed runner (R2) has reached the base they would have reached, the obstruction is removed and we now just have a situation where we have two players trying to occupy the same base which always has the trail runner in jeporday.
In this case the lead runner(R3) is entitled to the base so the trail runner is out (R2 is out).

Another way to think about this... if R3 proceeded home and was thrown out, she would be out no matter what happened with R2. So the obstruction on R2 doesn't protect the actions of R3.

Now the really fun call... Same scenario except R2 realizes that R3 is in trouble so does not step on 3B but rather waits between 2B and 3B. R3 safely makes it back to 3B, but R2 is tagged.

The obstruction is on here so both runners are safe since R3 got back to 3B safely and R2 is protected between the bases due to the obstruction - if you award R2 third base, then you force R3 home. R2 clearly COULD have reached 3B without the obstruction but decided not to. Since the rule is 'the base the runner would have reached without the obstruction' - I am really leaning towards awarding R2 third base.

Jan 27, 2019
I don't think you can award third because the lead runner has priority at third since she never touched home. I would award second base to the obstructed runner (R2) and we would be back where we started, runners at second and third.

There was a reason, whatever it was, that the runner went back to third. If she would not have scored on the play then third base was not open to R2. (She knew that and that's why she stopped.) Once the lead runner went back to third there was no way R2 could advance to third.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina

I concur. I really hope I am right. From a coach's perspective, I would like both my runners to be safe. From an opposing coach's perspective, I would like R2 to be out.

I am well aware that the rules do not care about what I would like and Blue certainly doesn't care about my feelings.

Back to the task at hand. R2 is out, R3 safe at third. I always get nervous during a quiz.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't think you can award third because the lead runner has priority at third since she never touched home. I would award second base to the obstructed runner (R2) and we would be back where we started, runners at second and third.

There was a reason, whatever it was, that the runner went back to third. If she would not have scored on the play then third base was not open to R2. (She knew that and that's why she stopped.) Once the lead runner went back to third there was no way R2 could advance to third.

In the original scenario the R2 has already reached the base she was trying to get to. so obstruction is now off since she is no longer between the bases, so there is no base reward or call to make.

In the second scenario I put forward, what R3 does has no impact on the obstruction call on R2 so R2 is safe between the bases so where do you put her? Does R2 intentionally stopping before 3B effect the placement of the runner due to the obstruction or does the fact she could have easily made 3B with out without the obstruction make a difference?

Going to be real interested in Comp's and MTR's thoughts on this one. I believe I got the original scenario right - it would certainly be my ruling on the field if it happened today. My scenario - ugh... on the field, I probably reward R2 3B and R3 gets home but I am not as confident as I would appear if I was selling it to the coaches :)

Reserve the right to make a different call once Comp and MTR comment :)

Jan 27, 2019
I agree completely on the OP. I too want to hear from MTR and Comp. If that second scenario played out on my field I would likely put R3 on 3 and R2 on 2. (Used to the lead runner being R1 and trailing runner R2). Interesting play scenario, looking forward to more interpretation

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Since R3 was tagged out between home and 3B, doesn’t this now leave 3B available to R2 (which she already occupies)?

What I see is R3 out, and R2 safe at 3B.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Since R3 was tagged out between home and 3B, doesn’t this now leave 3B available to R2 (which she already occupies)?
What I see is R3 out, and R2 safe at 3B.

In both scenarios I believe R3 made it safely back to 3B (otherwise these are easy calls)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13