Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I think whats getting lost in all this is folks are attempting to force actions out of sequence that should be reactions within a proper sequence..

Also folks have been brainwashed into thinking if the hands aren't actively turning snapping the barrel the swing is a push..

The push boogey man is alive and well thanks to Rich !! Push is a result of a bad sequence and not because they aren't actively turning snapping the barrel.

Jun 8, 2016
I think whats getting lost in all this is folks are attempting to force actions out of sequence that should be reactions within a proper sequence..

Also folks have been brainwashed into thinking if the hands aren't actively turning snapping the barrel the swing is a push..

The push boogey man is alive and well thanks to Rich !! Push is a result of a bad sequence and not because they aren't actively turning snapping the barrel.
That may have been what was said early on, not sure, but from my current understanding of what Rich is teaching he is attributing a push mainly to one bleeding their corner too early e.g. losing their rear hip coil and upper back stretch before they launch such that the rear leg is pushing versus pulling. Yes he wants the barrel to be turned behind the loaded core but in order for it not to be a push the core (he says knee pulls..whatever) needs to be able to pull (whip??) the barrel through the zone after it is initially brought up to speed by a barrel turn. IMO there doesn't seem to be a big difference, other than the initial barrel turn with the hands/forearms, between that and what you and W=w are saying.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I am talking truly trying to show the differences. I didn’t post the article. I don’t care if it was the POPE who was saying this. If it’s not a match. I’ll call BS.

FP you usually are ‘game’. But this one is hard to argue. ‘Truth’ is the entree of the day. And sometimes if your late to the table... it will be served cold.

How do you like my Rich impresssion? Pretty good right? :)

Jun 8, 2016
A long time ago when I use to post on the the usenet news groups there was a group which had a theory. Any thread that went on long enough would eventually make a reference to Adolf Hitler..seems weird but in that particular group (might have been a weightlifting group..cannot remember) it rang true an amazing amount of the time. When this occurred the rule was the thread was stopped. I think we should make a rule like that on here regarding Rich (and yes I just compared Rich to Adolf Hitler so that should make some of you happy...;)) What do you think? :rolleyes:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
That may have been what was said early on, not sure, but from my current understanding of what Rich is teaching he is attributing a push mainly to one bleeding their corner too early e.g. losing their rear hip coil and upper back stretch before they launch such that the rear leg is pushing versus pulling. Yes he wants the barrel to be turned behind the loaded core but in order for it not to be a push the core (he says knee pulls..whatever) needs to be able to pull (whip??) the barrel through the zone after it is initially brought up to speed by a barrel turn. Doesn't seem to be a big difference, other than the initial barrel turn with the hands/forearms, between that and what you are saying tbh.

Patter, I know you have probably followed some of the hitting position thread over at bbd. The point of that whole thread has to do with getting into a leveraged fyb hitting position so the hands can be pulled.

That position isn't part of Rich's sequence of movements, and is very evident in this demo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes. What they fail to realize is that the other theory is also "synced up with a leveraged lower half" to quote TDS' words... Sorry, just really not interested in rehashing the same thing over and over.

Don’t you me a leveraged lower
half of a half? Nice try though

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am talking truly trying to show the differences. I didn’t post the article. I don’t care if it was the POPE who was saying this. If it’s not a match. I’ll call BS.

FP you usually are ‘game’. But this one is hard to argue. ‘Truth’ is the entree of the day. And sometimes if your late to the table... it will be served cold.

How do you like my Rich impresssion? Pretty good right? :)

I am perfectly fine with the debate. The entire "truth" thing is questionable. "Truth" is a matter of perception. And one person's "truth" is another person's agenda. Although Pattar is the mechanical engineer, I am more concerned about provable facts then any person's version of the "truth".

Jun 8, 2016
Patter, I know you have probably followed some of the hitting position thread over at bbd. The point of that whole thread has to do with getting into a leveraged fyb hitting position so the hands can be pulled.

That position isn't part of Rich's sequence of movements, and is very evident in this demo.

I've said this before..I never look at Rich's actual movements..they suck in general. His instruction is a lot better when he uses other's to get his points across. In this example he is moving out with his shoulder's upside down...my DD would be proud.

Anyway yes I have followed it. I believe that as long as you keep the stretch in your core and don't bleed it before launch, the core can pull. Some guys "sit" more (e.g. get into both legs) before launch and in others the swing "sits them". It will also depend on pitch type,location and whether or not their initial read was correct....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma