is there anything wrong with a quick underhand toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Lots of coaches do not like the glove flip. If you have time to flip it with the glove you have time to reach in there and grab it with your hand and flip it. Much more accurate with the hand.

A glove flip is generally a desperation move, but sometimes the game calls for those kinds of things. A little practice helps with consistency and accuracy. Go to 2:08 on this video...

Jun 8, 2016
If only girls had the skills of a MLB infielder. Wouldn't that be grand?

For pattar's sake (since it's apparently important to cover all the bases here and not assume that everyone knows travel ball girls aren't as good as MLB infielders), let me rephrase my statement.

UNLESS YOU ARE A MLB INFIELDER, if you have time to flip it with the glove you have time to reach in there and grab it with your hand and flip it
Isn't the goal to try and be as good as a MLB IF? I am not saying that one should learn to do this at the sake of everything else or even use it most of the time but a) it is a good skill to have just in case and b) it is fun to work on it...

Condescension aside, the point is still valid that there are times when you would not get an out unless you glove flipped regardless of whether or not the fielder is a MLB IF or a 14U TB player.

Mar 28, 2014
Isn't the goal to try and be as good as a MLB IF? I am not saying that one should learn to do this at the sake of everything else or even use it most of the time but a) it is a good skill to have just in case and b) it is fun to work on it...

Condescension aside, the point is still valid that there are times when you would not get an out unless you glove flipped regardless of whether or not the fielder is a MLB IF or a 14U TB player.
Time could be better spent on other skills that are used more often in my opinion but it's just an opinion. Albeit, one backed by some college softball coaches but we'll all just carry on.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Your AC is dead wrong... the underhand toss and yes even the glove flip have their place and need
At 12u I wouldn’t be focusing on glove flip if my practice time was limited but it is an age where infielders def need to work on the underhand toss...
One thing is to say: in that situation you had plenty of time where a dart throw would have improved the odds of a good throw and you should reserve the underhand for when you have less time another is to say you should NEVER throw underhand - 12u is where they need to start learning how much time they have on a play and choose the best tool in their toolbox for the job - be it underhand, dart throw, crowhop, or even a glove toss - how will they learn if the coaches tell them to NEVER do it and never prqctice it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal

On my DD's 14U team the last 2 years, it was fairly common to see a small group of girls standing in a circle doing glove flips to each other. It no only improves the skill of delivering an accurate and consistent glove flip, but also increases the player's feel and control of their equipment. Also - as you said - it's fun. :)

Mar 28, 2014
A glove flip is generally a desperation move, but sometimes the game calls for those kinds of things. A little practice helps with consistency and accuracy. Go to 2:08 on this video...

Just some coach's philosophies, that's all. Happens so rarely, is it really worth devoting a bunch of practice time to it since time is limited? I think that's what it boils down to.

Sure there are outliers. There are in anything. Mugsy Bogues was only 5'4" but you don't see college coaches beating down the doors of 5'4" players do you?

Jun 8, 2016
Time could be better spent on other skills that are used more often in my opinion but it's just an opinion. Albeit, one backed by some college softball coaches but we'll all just carry on.
I wouldn't work on it in team practice for the most part but at the end of a practice when the girls are starting to check out (of course I am sure that doesn't happen in your practices..see I can be condescending too..) doing it for fun isn't going to hurt anybody.

Feb 27, 2019
I tell the team underhand toss when less than 6 feet estimated (which we drill on about every other week.).
If you are two steps away, finish the play yourself. A toss at that distance is most likely to get disrupted by an incoming runner and if the runner isn't close than you have the time to step on the base. we use a dart throw outside of the 6 feet when under momentum, a running dart throw is enough at mid range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13