Did the umpire get it correct, bad initial call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I am wondering what the plate umpire was watching to miss this? Oh, that’s right up you said it was USSSA. He was probably counting all the money he was going to make working 8 games in a row.

One time my DD hit a ball hard and low that bounced before being snagged by the pitcher, but the only people who apparently realized that were the HP umpire, DD, and myself. Everyone else thought it was a line drive catch. The runner on 1B wouldn't move even though I repeatedly told her to run. Chaos ensued.

May 6, 2015
Then you must have tripped into it by accident, because your explanation appears pretty "fair". All you can do with a blown call of this type is make a reasoned assessment of the most likely outcome had you not made the mistake. However, I'd suggest that with the type of hit described, unless it was REALLY high in the air before 1B caught it, there's a play at Home. Perhaps at 10U the first impulse is a play on the runner headed to 1B, but if it bounces high in the air before being caught, everyone is probably safe. At 18U, with 1B already heading towards Home to catch the "pop-up" grounder, the play is probably at Home assuming R3 is going.
I agree, a play might have been possible on this runner, possibly not. I think returning this runner to 3rd is best bet (not an umpire myself though, and I did not stay at a holiday inn express at all that I can remember), should not be in jeopardy of being put out, but also defense may have been denied opportunity for an out (by trying to double up one of the other runners based on initial call).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok - there is actually video of this play which was appropriately NOT shared on the site, but the OP shared with me privately. The video should not be shared.

HAD TO BE THERE....

This is ACTUALLY WHAT HAPPENED:
  1. The batter clubs a low pitch right off the plate and it goes HIGH into the air. I can absolutely see why the home plate missed it - I mean she hit it off right off the ground and it went high and most of the way to first base. I've seen golf balls teed higher.
  2. 1B fields it in the air and the batter-runner coming up the line is not even close to passing her. 2B is headed over to 1B and is going to get there well before the batter-runner. 1B could easily tag the batter-runner or throw to 2B at first base. 1B and 2B and the batter-runner ALL stop because of the out call.
  3. R1 at first ran from first to second on the hit and stays there.
  4. R3 at third runs home
  5. Confusion here - umpire indicates twice he had an out. Someone says something and he (poorly) consults his partner. At this point the BALL IS DEAD. Ball is in the circle, umpires are discussing. It is not live play anymore.
  6. Runner at second is confused (I suspect people were yelling at her) but it doesn't matter that she tries to run back to first or that fielders start throwing the ball around because the BALL IS DEAD
Umpires didn't handle it great. They reacted rather than taking the time to discuss what happened as I described above. It really wasn't that difficult if you have seen it and thought it through. Which they didn't.

It should have been batter-runner out, runner stays on second, runner on third scores.

Last edited:
May 16, 2012
Missouri
I am wondering what the plate umpire was watching to miss this? Oh, that’s right up you said it was USSSA. He was probably counting all the money he was going to make working 8 games in a row.
Hmmm, the best umpire training I ever received was from USSSA. All of the USA training I have been to is a joke. But, everywhere is different. And yes, I have worked 8 games in a row for both USA and USSSA. That's what happens when there is a shortage of umpires. Actually, the last USA tourney I worked the majority of the umpires wanted it that way(6 in a row).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478