can there be more than one error on a single play? which of these would be error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
lost 3rd game in 3 game series last night 3-2, heartbreaker, our team gave the game away, other mistakes as well, needed more at plate from all.

first situation, SS field ground ball, runner from 2B (no runner on 1B) nearly runs into them, probably could have applied tag, if they charged it a little more definitely would have been interference, then sails ball over F3s head, runner from 2B scores (would have been 3rd out).

second situation, hard hit ground ball between SS and 3B, 3B probably should have had it. LF scoops up ball, and throws home from shallow left field, P cuts off throw, C was in position, decent throw, they had a chance to get the runner, but not a sure thing. Question is, can the P get an error there?

Apr 28, 2019
lost 3rd game in 3 game series last night 3-2, heartbreaker, our team gave the game away, other mistakes as well, needed more at plate from all.

first situation, SS field ground ball, runner from 2B (no runner on 1B) nearly runs into them, probably could have applied tag, if they charged it a little more definitely would have been interference, then sails ball over F3s head, runner from 2B scores (would have been 3rd out).

second situation, hard hit ground ball between SS and 3B, 3B probably should have had it. LF scoops up ball, and throws home from shallow left field, P cuts off throw, C was in position, decent throw, they had a chance to get the runner, but not a sure thing. Question is, can the P get an error there?
No error on P. Judgement call. It should be explained to Pitcher to let the ball go through if the throw is strong and
online and it’s possible to get runner out. The player making the cut has to determine if the OF has a strong enough arm to reach the targeted base and that the throw is accurate enough so a cut is not necessary.
The less touches the better more often than not.

May 29, 2015
No error on P. Judgement call. It should be explained to Pitcher to let the ball go through if the throw is strong and
online and it’s possible to get runner out. The player making the cut has to determine if the OF has a strong enough arm to reach the targeted base and that the throw is accurate enough so a cut is not necessary.
The less touches the better more often than not.

No error as MadBandit said, but I would add a piece to coaching the players.

I would be working with my catcher on learning to see and command the play. The cutoff (pitcher in this case) cannot see the play unfolding behind her. The catcher should be directing the pitcher, initially aligning her (in, out, left, right) and then giving instructions (e.g., “cut 4” to relay the throw home, “cut 2” to relay the throw but go to second, “no cut” to let the throw come through).

Not sure what age group you have, so that be a little advanced but it is a great skill for all of your fielders (not just the catcher).

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
You can have more than one error on the same play.

In these situation I would score as follows

E6 on first one for bad throw.

2nd play no errror.
This is what I would have scored.

Yes, there can be two, three, four, and maybe even more errors on one play. As you described the plays I don't that there would be an E5 on the second. Should have had it doesn't sound like it rolled under her glove.

Sep 19, 2018
What's been said, especially what MIB outlined. We are working on that right now (11 yo team). It is not easy for a catcher to confidently make all these ready and convey to the team.

I'll add that the same person can make multiple errors on the same play. I recall Tommy John making 3 errors on a come backer or bunt (IDR exactly). He first dropped it, allowing the batter runner to reach first safely (#1). Then sailed it into right field (#2), allowing the advance to 2nd. Then somehow was involved in being a cut off, and sailed it past the catch (#3) allowing the runner (started on 1B) to score.

May 6, 2015
thanks all, Pitcher was actually standing right in front of C, I initially thought C caught the ball, and HC, he dad, did counsel P after the play. all part of learning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802