Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We all know that we watch softball and in travel ball and rec ball and high school ball and college at all levels we still see players bunting. Coaches have a signal for it. We know how Lefty strategy and speed are an asset to a roster. We know bunting & small ball is utilized. From what we see and know,... don't think there is any way to accumulate all the information from the multiple levels that softball is to make a comparison! Especially cant compair to a sport like baseball that does not have that dimension in its game
as does fastpitch.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Wow, this thread is tacking on pages quick..

No, bunting is not old school. Someone who can only bunt, yes, very limited trajectory in softball. The absolute best at bats to watch are high level slappers. No matter where the defense plays, there is an inherent weakness in the defense and they capitalize on it. We have 2 that have times <2.7 to 1B. Our coach doesn't give them plays, each pitch is different and the player reads the defense. If I had to guess, they bunt 30% of the time. If they are not a high level bunter, none of the other stuff works as well. Basically, they have to play up close and that opens up tons of dirt over the infields head which then draws the OF in which opens up line drive extra bases and HR's to the gaps. Back up to cover different parts of the field, boom bunt.

And in my experience, pitchers do not have as much coverage as you would think. Totally falls on P5 / P3

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
And in my experience, pitchers do not have as much coverage as you would think...

Yeah, I had that same thought. Some of the folks in this thread obviously haven't seen some of the pitchers (and defenses) I see every weekend lol.

I don't know how useful it is to apply data compiled at the highest levels of baseball and softball to huge groups of people that will never ever play at that level or even AGAINST kids who will play at that level. I know a kid who has had less than 10 actual, score-able hits in the last 18 months (and plays in 2-3 tournaments a month) swinging the bat, and it's likely closer to 5 than it is 10. A lot more good comes of her trying to bunt than swinging away (sometimes just being able to move a runner to third on a steal because they come screaming up when she shows bunt), because softball isn't just carried at P5/Olympic levels.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think I said it a while ago. All players should be able to bunt (and slide) but also able to threaten the infielders (3rd baseman's) health. It can never be taken for granted this girl is going to bunt.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yeah, I had that same thought. Some of the folks in this thread obviously haven't seen some of the pitchers (and defenses) I see every weekend lol.
That’s one of the things we’ve always been blessed with, solid, great fielding pitchers! Anna’s a better SS than pitcher, she can easily field that position. I remember her 16U coach who was once a college coach, he would always smile when she would pick a screaming backhand short hop!

Great defensive pitchers are game changers, just like terrible defensive pitchers are, which puts more pressure on the infield against great small ball teams!

That 16U team had 3 pitchers who were also great infielders!

Jun 8, 2016

I don't know how useful it is to apply data compiled at the highest levels of baseball and softball to huge groups of people that will never ever play at that level or even AGAINST kids who will play at that level. I know a kid who has had less than 10 actual, score-able hits in the last 18 months (and plays in 2-3 tournaments a month) swinging the bat, and it's likely closer to 5 than it is 10. A lot more good comes of her trying to bunt than swinging away (sometimes just being able to move a runner to third on a steal because they come screaming up when she shows bunt), because softball isn't just carried at P5/Olympic levels.
At the younger ages the whole statistical thing, which is mainly based on HL players, doesn't really apply (heck with some teams you might have a 50% chance of the bunter ending up on 2B) but then the question becomes do you really want a 11 YO kid bunting 50% of the time just because it gives her team a better chance to win...

Feb 15, 2017
Wow, this thread is tacking on pages quick..

No, bunting is not old school. Someone who can only bunt, yes, very limited trajectory in softball. The absolute best at bats to watch are high level slappers. No matter where the defense plays, there is an inherent weakness in the defense and they capitalize on it. We have 2 that have times
And in my experience, pitchers do not have as much coverage as you would think. Totally falls on P5 / P3
What are the stats going to be in Softball when see shifts from baseball trickle to softball? (More infielders with one open spot in the outfield)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
At the younger ages the whole statistical thing, which is mainly based on HL players, doesn't really apply (heck with some teams you might have a 50% chance of the bunter ending up on 2B) but then the question becomes do you really want a 11 YO kid bunting 50% of the time just because it gives her team a better chance to win...

I think for a lot of kids it’s more about allowing them to actually play by finding them something they can do, even more than it’s about giving the team a chance to win, especially if the forecast for their career isn’t much beyond “having fun with my friends”. I think there is a space for that.

I did see a certain team that I won’t name bunt their 4 hole with no runners on, in the bottom of the last inning with no outs and less than 4 minutes left, in a title game that they were winning (and she has the home to 1st time of Bartolo Colon). That’s a lot more along the lines of what I think most of us agree is poor strategy and using tactics that won’t work in “big girl” ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13