Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I ran into a former HS player at a tournament who graduated from a Big 10 school this year. She had just gotten a job at a midwest college as an assistant coach. We spoke for several minutes on the state of our HS program, and game strategy we play. Near the end of our conversation she flat out said "and don't waste outs bunting".

I've always believed in small ball as a weapon. Is this now considered "old softball"?

May 29, 2015
I still believe bunting is a very effective weapon, particularly at younger levels.

My guess is as talent and ability advance, coaches abandon bunting in favor of slap hitting. Or, since she said "waste outs", she may have been referring to coaches who predictably resort to sacrifice bunting to move a runner when it is not necessary (I see that quite a bit).

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When I was HC in baseball everyone knew how to bunt but we never bunted in a game.

In SB at 14U we had players bunt 2 pitches then swing away. 1 player said she did not know how. She has been playing softball for 5 or 6 years and does not know how to bunt? Shame on her previous coaches.

It is a weapon in your bag, need to be able to use it if you want to.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
DD plays 14U A level. Her team bunted a lot. They were mostly successful with it too. I thought it to be a great way of pressuring the defense and also moving runners. They bunted a lot for hits, too, so it was never an "automatic" or wasted out. Surprisingly, we bunted more that almost every team we played. The team was successful (wins) as well. I also noted that the top level teams could always lay down a bunt when needed.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I've always bunted a lot especially with players who had a difficult time hitting.

It sure beats 3 strikes and back to the bench.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Doesn't really apply but DD's finger got fractured by being hit by a pitch. Doctor said she could play if she could stand the pain.

She keep jumping out of the box so we had her bunt for a little bit. Hard to jump out of the box when you are bunting.

May 17, 2012
I've always believed in small ball as a weapon. Is this now considered "old softball"?

It's not "old softball" it's just bad math. At no point are you better off after bunting from a run expectancy point of view.

Does that mean that you shouldn't bunt ever? No there are clearly some outliers where you may want to bunt in a game.

Sure you can bunt against average or weaker teams but if you are playing a real team you are just wasting outs. The math has been done on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802