Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Thats a perfect call. She's a good bat handler, Bases loaded, and no outs is a no brainer. If she fails to bunt, 1 out. If the runner gets busted at home, bases still loaded. If sucessful its ball game. Theres a ton of pressure on the defense and I doubt any one on the field saw it coming

Would that call be made with 1 or 2 outs?
There was one out. It was itb and we were home the bottom of the line up got it done and scored the tying run and bases were loaded no outs. Our lead off hitter who is phenomenal shockingly struck out so left us with one out. My kiddo who is normally very strong as well in the 2 slot was just not having a game and we had the right personell on 3rd. It was awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I assume these are stats for players who actually get the bunt down? How many attempted to bunt early in the count and aborted and later swung away?
It is from an earlier post in this thread.
Read it to be success rate/average on actual bunting.

Swing average would be included in batting average.

Here is the original post
V
V
V

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Going back to the original post topic there does still seem to be good use for small ball.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
It is from an earlier post in this thread.
Read it to be success rate/average on actual bunting.

Swing average would be included in batting average.

Here is the original post
V
V
V

It's good info, but it appears that it includes only the times in which the batter got the bunt down. So a batter's actual batting average when attempting to bunt during any at-bat is probably lower. Doesn't mean his general conclusions are wrong, but I fear that the data might over-rate the success. It's a hard thing to research because nothing in the play-by-play tells us when a batter changers her mind after getting down 1-2 in the count, or fouling a couple off and deciding to hit away. Some bunters strike out trying.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I wish Dusty Baker knew about this old school thing called bunting! Now that the MLB instituted ITB in extra innings where a runner starts on 2nd with 0 outs. Bunt your runner over and have 2 outs to get him to cross the plate. The small ball game put pressure on a defense and can reveal weaknesses and tendencies in coverages.

They've studied this. Bunting is, at best, a break-even proposition. In most scenarios with the ITB, it's a bad idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying