Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I did see a certain team that I won’t name bunt their 4 hole with no runners on, in the bottom of the last inning with no outs and less than 4 minutes left, in a title game that they were winning (and she has the home to 1st time of Bartolo Colon). That’s a lot more along the lines of what I think most of us agree is poor strategy and using tactics that won’t work in “big girl” ball.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pffftt that is nothing...the next time I see somebody bunting over a runner from 1st down by 6 runs with 4 minutes left I might skip the water bottle and throw my chair onto the field...

Apr 20, 2017
I do think bunting is going away slowly. But will always have place in the game and in situations is a winning strategy. But it seems the game is making a shift to the long ball. I know some coaches that build teams completely for speed and playing the small game/slapping are not as successful as they were a few years ago. I believe in the no defense for over the fence. And a solid team will be built to handle or take advantage of what the defense gives.

May 24, 2016
It's not "old softball" it's just bad math. At no point are you better off after bunting from a run expectancy point of view.

Does that mean that you shouldn't bunt ever? No there are clearly some outliers where you may want to bunt in a game.

Sure you can bunt against average or weaker teams but if you are playing a real team you are just wasting outs. The math has been done on this.
Tell that to the Japanese National Team

I don't beleive it's "old softball". Its a weapon!! If 3rd and catcher aren't on their games bunts will eat you up. I say that because this past weekend in our state tournament that was the case. They small balled us and utilized the clock perfectly we lost 8-7.

Aug 16, 2015
In my opinion., bunting is useful only in certain situations (sacrifice). Think bottom 7, tie game.... I'm not talking about speed players bunting trying to get a hit. That's different.

In most cases, bunting is the easiest way to create a 1 run inning out of what could have been a 5 run inning. Statistics prove this to be true (granted from MLB).

Look at the expected runs with 0 out, runner on 1st. 0.86. So now you bunt successfully, 1 out runner on 2nd the expected runs go DOWN to 0.66.

Same is true bunting with a runner on 2nd with 0 outs.. Expected runs go from 1.15 to 0.95.

1st and 2nd 0 outs bunt yields the same: 1.44 to 1.38.

As the article says, in youth ball, the gap may even be BIGGER because double plays happen far less frequently.

I guess the level you're playing matters too... I'm sure its far more beneficial at 10u given the fact that fielding isn't as "sure". As the girls get older playing A level, a sacrifice bunt is an out 99% of the time.

Dec 11, 2014
The very comment by the "former player" is a perfect example of why being a former player doesn't make you a good "coach". Of course bunting is a effective part of the game. To suggest that it's a waste is laughable. It's another tool in a toolbox.

Dec 11, 2014
In my opinion., bunting is useful only in certain situations (sacrifice). Think bottom 7, tie game.... I'm not talking about speed players bunting trying to get a hit. That's different.

In most cases, bunting is the easiest way to create a 1 run inning out of what could have been a 5 run inning. Statistics prove this to be true (granted from MLB).

Look at the expected runs with 0 out, runner on 1st. 0.86. So now you bunt successfully, 1 out runner on 2nd the expected runs go DOWN to 0.66.

Same is true bunting with a runner on 2nd with 0 outs.. Expected runs go from 1.15 to 0.95.

1st and 2nd 0 outs bunt yields the same: 1.44 to 1.38.

As the article says, in youth ball, the gap may even be BIGGER because double plays happen far less frequently.

I guess the level you're playing matters too... I'm sure its far more beneficial at 10u given the fact that fielding isn't as "sure". As the girls get older playing A level, a sacrifice bunt is an out 99% of the time.

Using MLB stats as a basis for supporting a viewpoint in softball is a very poor argument. Softball and baseball are very different games especially when discussing short game strategy.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
People keep reflecting on stats on plays.
What are the stats on swinging resulting in double plays vs. bunting resulting in double plays?!

Swing away~ can result in
pop ups, line drives, grounders, dibblers

Bunts~ pop ups, push bunts, slow roller, ball actually stops,

While have not seen stats to compair these.
Can say have seen more double plays happen from swings.
Not as many times both runners get thrown out after a bunt.

Really considering bunt/or hits on the ground.
Pop ups should be an out either way...

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
Using MLB stats as a basis for supporting a viewpoint in softball is a very poor argument. Softball and baseball are very different games especially when discussing short game strategy.
Its actually very pertinent. Its comparing players of like talents with known data over a long period if time. Also the D1 stats are the same.

Laws of probability and Benfords law are tough to ignore. Believe me I hate it, but it'll prove you wrong in an instant

May 23, 2015
Lol at your statements!
Then you throw out junk like its true. Too funny!!!!

Ignoring the conversation or ignorance?
Its very true. Billions of dollars are at stake based on data. Why wouldn't you pay attention to it? Data doesn't lie

Bunting is down because data tells it to be down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13