iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How many have looked into the meaning behind the metrics? Now that I'm familiar with the app, I'm looking into the definition of each metric to better understand the metrics as a whole. It's pretty interesting stuff and I think a pretty powerful tool.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
How many have looked into the meaning behind the metrics? Now that I'm familiar with the app, I'm looking into the definition of each metric to better understand the metrics as a whole. It's pretty interesting stuff and I think a pretty powerful tool.

I have haha. But it looks like the only ones keeping the thread moving are you and I. I have not heard too many others interested in much more that old fashioned know how when it comes to this stuff. I am a tech head so I enjoy it. But just gotta get my DD behind it. Some of these metrics look to be used in comparing an athletes abilities looking at colleges so for me it is nice to know where she stacks up against others as well.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
fanboi22,

I guess we are the only ones using Blast. Funny that my kids love it. They embrace the technology and want to know how their doing. They like to hear the phone say their plane score after their swing. It took a couple of sessions, but I have a better grasp on the app and metrics meaning.

May 29, 2019
I just saw this thread, and am interested to see what your opinions/results are using this device. We just got one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't really put a whole lot of time into using it. The first time we tried it, the numbers on what appeared to be very similar swings were all over the place. Because of this, I haven't been too interested in wasting time using since I'm not confident in the feedback I am getting from it. Hopefully it is just a learning curve thing, but I probably won't use it again until we are really bored and have a lot of time to kill.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I just saw this thread, and am interested to see what your opinions/results are using this device. We just got one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't really put a whole lot of time into using it. The first time we tried it, the numbers on what appeared to be very similar swings were all over the place. Because of this, I haven't been too interested in wasting time using since I'm not confident in the feedback I am getting from it. Hopefully it is just a learning curve thing, but I probably won't use it again until we are really bored and have a lot of time to kill.

Besides testing it on myself, I've only used it twice with my kids. Just from those two times the next time is going to be even better as I understand the app (how to use the app) and the metrics better.

What metrics were all over the place? The swing plane efficiency or batspeed? I don't think in my first two times using it I used it well. The swing plane metrics can be all over the place and this is why the feedback is important. It could just be your hitter is inconsistent with their swing and consistency is what your after in the swing. You want to consistently hit the ball well, so your looking for swing and ball/impact metrics to be consistent.

I would try it a few times and try to understand the metrics and their meaning, before giving up. Remember It is just a tool.

Jun 28, 2019
I've had one almost a year. Used it at first but never really got acclimated to it. So it's sat for 8 months. They've been promising updates for a while nice to hear it's happening?

Please keep posting your results and experiences.

May 29, 2019
Besides testing it on myself, I've only used it twice with my kids. Just from those two times the next time is going to be even better as I understand the app (how to use the app) and the metrics better.

What metrics were all over the place? The swing plane efficiency or batspeed? I don't think in my first two times using it I used it well. The swing plane metrics can be all over the place and this is why the feedback is important. It could just be your hitter is inconsistent with their swing and consistency is what your after in the swing. You want to consistently hit the ball well, so your looking for swing and ball/impact metrics to be consistent.

I would try it a few times and try to understand the metrics and their meaning, before giving up. Remember It is just a tool.
The bat speed fluctuated by as much as 30mph :eek: Hopefully it is a recalibration, or uninstall/reinstall, or something like that.... I'll delve into it when I have a lot of time to kill. I am kind of a gadget guy, but I don't have that "I can't wait to go try it out" excitement about it right now.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The bat speed fluctuated by as much as 30mph :eek: Hopefully it is a recalibration, or uninstall/reinstall, or something like that.... I'll delve into it when I have a lot of time to kill. I am kind of a gadget guy, but I don't have that "I can't wait to go try it out" excitement about it right now.

Wow, that's a big fluctuation. Did you input the bat size/weight correctly? I don't know why you would get that big of a difference. I haven't had anything like that happen. With mine I forgot to change the bat the first time with the kids. So their bat speeds were higher because I had my bat inputted. Although nothing like a 30 mph difference or any weird metrics. I trust mine is correct. I would call Blast when you get some time and tell them what is happening.

I can't wait to use mine at the next practice. As I'm going to record at 240fps next time, so I like the video feature that turn video into individual swings/clip automatically. I really like my setup and can't wait to get even better at not just the metrics, but also the video aspect. I have studied the app/metrics since the last session and I will be even better at using the metrics and videos. I have their swings on video and their metrics from our last practice to study and learn from.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I haven’t used it with the updated app yet. I am excited for that as I had the blast vision separate and couldn’t combine so that will be nice as an all in one. My DD was hitting a lot of HHBs but liners to grounders. So I payed attention to the attack angle as well as bat speed. When working originally on changes in swing and trying to TTB speeds were all over the place but only by 10mph or so. But we knew the reasons. Now with launch angle combined and the other combination metrics like Blast factor I am interested to see what it will show. The one interesting metric I looked at was hand speed as that becomes less important as long as you are getting good lag and whip thru the zone. That will be what we looks at. I think I saw one pro use the device and the hand speed matched the bat speed for a while during lag and then bat speed accelerated to contact. I want to try and put together a chart of those differences and when they happen in the swing. I think the connection metric may be part of that as well. But if you have a constant increasing bat speed along with hand speed will no significant whipping increase then you are probably too ‘around the body’. So once me and DD get back at it during fall ball training we will report back with info. At a PGF this weekend in Iowa so won’t get anything back until after that.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
fanboi22,

There is no blast factor in the new app. Do you have all the metrics unlocked? I think you have to have everything unlocked to do ball flight metrics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying