iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Another update: Set the tripod up at last nights hitting session and set the measurements up to record ball flight and was pleasantly surprised on how efficient everything was and how the data was applied to each hit. After the session we went back home and went over the data and videos of hits and my DD actually reacted positively to everything. We looked at her good hits and her poor ones. I'm impressed with it and she was excited about it and pointing things out with different swings . So big fan so far. if DD is excited I'm excited.. Will note this though out of 118 hits she took, there were two that I believe may have given bad readings. I know she hit them well but I don't believe she can hit 347 feet and 326 feet. the rest all seemed plausible.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I was hoping to use mine tonight, but the kids have soccer practice. Hopefully we can squeeze something in this weekend between soccer games. I have to wait until after soccer before we can get into consistent practices.

I have used my down time to study the Blast sensor and app. I'm really happy with the over-all package and swing/contact metrics. I'm now memorizing the metrics readings as a goal. For example the goal for rotational acceleration and what is a good reading or low reading (8g to 35g is what your after with rotational acceleration).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Another update: Set the tripod up at last nights hitting session and set the measurements up to record ball flight and was pleasantly surprised on how efficient everything was and how the data was applied to each hit. After the session we went back home and went over the data and videos of hits and my DD actually reacted positively to everything. We looked at her good hits and her poor ones. I'm impressed with it and she was excited about it and pointing things out with different swings . So big fan so far. if DD is excited I'm excited.. Will note this though out of 118 hits she took, there were two that I believe may have given bad readings. I know she hit them well but I don't believe she can hit 347 feet and 326 feet. the rest all seemed plausible.

My students all like the Blast sensor/app as well. They like the real time video and swing metrics.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
I was hoping to use mine tonight, but the kids have soccer practice. Hopefully we can squeeze something in this weekend between soccer games. I have to wait until after soccer before we can get into consistent practices.

I have used my down time to study the Blast sensor and app. I'm really happy with the over-all package and swing/contact metrics. I'm now memorizing the metrics readings as a goal. For example the goal for rotational acceleration and what is a good reading or low reading (8g to 35g is what your after with rotational acceleration).
my next goal is learning all the metrics . I'm still unsure on some of the points and rotational acceleration is one I for sure don't know. My DD is showing low of 7.4 and highs of 13.6 but not really seeing a correlation between the numbers and to where she hits the ball. got 2 balls side by side with a high and low rotational acceleration. I watch bat speed, bat angle and on plane efficiency mostly

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
my next goal is learning all the metrics . I'm still unsure on some of the points and rotational acceleration is one I for sure don't know. My DD is showing low of 7.4 and highs of 13.6 but not really seeing a correlation between the numbers and to where she hits the ball. got 2 balls side by side with a high and low rotational acceleration. I watch bat speed, bat angle and on plane efficiency mostly

I have a good grasp on all the metrics. Rotational acceleration is how fast/quick you go from load and into the swing. If you have a 60 mph batspeed, rotational acceleration is a metric of how fast/quick you get to 60 mph.

Study the metrics and app. You will get much more out of it if you understand all the metrics.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Let me put it this way, if there was any slop, bat drag, or if the hands started the swing, it would effect rotational acceleration. It says in the metric definition that if you use the big muscles, legs and core, to sequence the swing, then you will have higher rotational acceleration readings. If you use the hands you will have lower readings. The better you sequence the better the rotational acceleration readings.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We are shooting for practice on Sunday, if it doesn't rain and force us inside, I want to use ball flight metrics outside to match the data to ball flight. I might use it indoors if it is raining. I want to work on swing metrics before I get to carried away with ball flight metrics. I do want to use the ball flight metrics, it's just not the most important metrics right now. I'll let you know what I think. I can't wait to use the total package as my kids get more advanced, swing metrics, contact metrics and ball flight metrics. It is a complete analysis tool.

Jun 20, 2019
I'm thinking about buying one. It seems like there is a lot to understand. Is it one of those things that you can make it a complex as you would like or you can make it a simple as you would care to. Keep the updates coming.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I'm thinking about buying one. It seems like there is a lot to understand. Is it one of those things that you can make it a complex as you would like or you can make it a simple as you would care to. Keep the updates coming.

It takes a few sessions to figure it out and a little studying of the metrics meaning. I can honestly say that the next time I use it is going to be even better. I've only used it for 3 sessions so far. When the kids are done with soccer we will practice some before December. So I can say after 3 sessions and studying the metrics, I have a good grasp on it's function. And now it's simple.

Last edited:

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
Thank you, Shawn. The reviews on amazon were about to deter me from purchasing it, but this thread and comments from others using it has helped me in deciding on buying it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse