iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
I got the blast for my DD about a month ago. We hit at the trainer once a week so I have 3 full sessions of info now. After 2nd session I paid for the yearly sub to unlock all the other features. Still playing with it. Got an update that using the camera it will show the spray of the session and plot where the ball lands. Going to try that this week.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I haven't yet gotten in a session with DD yet, but was reviewing the metrics on the new app. The on plane efficiency is a question for me. i will have to get some sample swings and see. I am just curious if a neck slot swing inherently has more efficiency than a Babe Ruth style tip and rip. We always talk about getting the barrel up to speed fast, and i have always thought of that with some type of hand torque, but curious if we will find that this equates to a lower on plane number. And if so does it matter. Maybe the bat speed and rotational values then are more important. Curious your thoughts.

The on plane number is how long the barrel is on plane with impact metrics. It takes the vertical bat angle at impact and works backward to figure out your On plane efficiency or swing plane.

One part of the Connection score takes your bat angle at initiation, bat angle and posture/tilt and gives you Early connection score in degrees. 90 degrees would match bat angle to torso tilt/posture and greater then 90 degree such as Babe Ruth would read 115 degrees or higher. Anything lower then 90 degrees, such as 75 degrees would mean the barrel is below or does not match torso tilt/posture. You can have a higher degree such as Babe Ruth, you just don't want a lower score like 75 degrees.

I'm not sure if that was your question or a answer to your question.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I got the blast for my DD about a month ago. We hit at the trainer once a week so I have 3 full sessions of info now. After 2nd session I paid for the yearly sub to unlock all the other features. Still playing with it. Got an update that using the camera it will show the spray of the session and plot where the ball lands. Going to try that this week.

Yeah I unlocked all the metrics and the spray chart is part of the ball flight metrics. I have't used the video to take ball flight metrics yet. I have only used it 3 times as well.

How old is your daughter?

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Update. Set the iphone up and recorded my DD's Session last night. Session was good and I do like the video information verses the 3d swing info. Still a learning process and apparently I failed to turn on the ball flight info so did not get any of that. All in all still like the sensor and adding the video helped my DD more than looking at the 3d model of each swing

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Update. Set the iphone up and recorded my DD's Session last night. Session was good and I do like the video information verses the 3d swing info. Still a learning process and apparently I failed to turn on the ball flight info so did not get any of that. All in all still like the sensor and adding the video helped my DD more than looking at the 3d model of each swing

Yeah I really like it as well. You can see it on video where it edits the clips for you swing by swing and the swing metrics just back up what you see on video. I love they way it works on the iphone and the metrics as a whole. I studied the metrics and can get more out of it each time I use it. I've only used it three times and each time it gets better and the kids swings get better.

I haven't used the ball flight metrics yet, but I do know in the apps video screen there is button for the ball flight metrics.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
Yeah I really like it as well. You can see it on video where it edits the clips for you swing by swing and the swing metrics just back up what you see on video. I love they way it works on the iphone and the metrics as a whole. I studied the metrics and can get more out of it each time I use it. I've only used it three times and each time it gets better and the kids swings get better.

I haven't used the ball flight metrics yet, but I do know in the apps video screen there is button for the ball flight metrics.
What I found after last evenings session is when you are setting up the camera to start taking video there is a slide at the bottom looks like an arrow going up. that is your ball flight turn on slide. once that is set and you click record you then have to select tee or soft toss or whatever. final step is set the camera distance you are from the Tee or Center of Plate. From there it does its thing.. I highly recommend using a tripod for accuracy

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
What I found after last evenings session is when you are setting up the camera to start taking video there is a slide at the bottom looks like an arrow going up. that is your ball flight turn on slide. once that is set and you click record you then have to select tee or soft toss or whatever. final step is set the camera distance you are from the Tee or Center of Plate. From there it does its thing.. I highly recommend using a tripod for accuracy

Yeah that's the button, the slide button. I have a tripod and cell phone adapter. I just haven't used it yet. We have been hitting outside so the ball flight tells you what you need to know. I think the ball flight metrics will come in really handy when hitting indoors. The kids have a long way to go with their swing metrics. not to worried about the ball flight metrics right now. But, I do want to use the complete metrics (ball flight/swing).

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Yeah that's the button, the slide button. I have a tripod and cell phone adapter. I just haven't used it yet. We have been hitting outside so the ball flight tells you what you need to know. I think the ball flight metrics will come in really handy when hitting indoors. The kids have a long way to go with their swing metrics. not to worried about the ball flight metrics right now. But, I do want to use the complete metrics (ball flight/swing).
Shawn, you should try it with the ball flight while outdoors so you can compare it to actual flight. That way when you’re indoors, you will have a better feel for its accuracy.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shawn, you should try it with the ball flight while outdoors so you can compare it to actual flight. That way when you’re indoors, you will have a better feel for its accuracy.

I will try it out. I was just focused on swing metrics and understanding them completely. The ball flight metrics are very interesting as well. The thought that you can do a complete analysis of swing and ball flight metrics at the same time is awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802