iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ok, great thanks for the info. Do you think it's only in the baseball app, or is it also in the Softball app that you can unlock and combine everything?

I have both apps on my phone and both are completely unlocked. However only the baseball app has the angle, exit velocity, distance in the metrics. In the future I'll test it out on the baseball app to see how it works.

This week I'm going to use the softball app first. I tested some swings today. I will try with my kids now.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
OK Fanboi22,

I guess you can't assign the sensor to both sports. So I couldn't test the baseball app.

I was testing the softball app to see if you could compare your metrics directly against whatever level you wanted. After trying all morning I called Blast and they said there is currently no way to directly compare your metrics against a pro for example.

However in a week they are releasing an updated softball app to much the same as the baseball app. I didn't ask to many questions, but perhaps the ball flight, exit velocity, distance with be included in the new app. I think you can compare your metrics to a pro for example in the baseball app. I could only look at the app, couldn't load any swings.

So in a week we get an updated softball app. The baseball app was already updated and the softball app is next and is supposed to be the same.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ok, I haven't used mine with DD in a little while, but we need to do a few sessions in the next few weeks, so i will try to see what i can see as well. Weird that the baseball is currently different than softball. But i guess that's how you see em.

Curious if you can reset the sensor and only put on one app? i may try that, as the old data doesn't mean much to me now. Will let you know if i can find anything.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ok, I haven't used mine with DD in a little while, but we need to do a few sessions in the next few weeks, so i will try to see what i can see as well. Weird that the baseball is currently different than softball. But i guess that's how you see em.

Curious if you can reset the sensor and only put on one app? i may try that, as the old data doesn't mean much to me now. Will let you know if i can find anything.

I heard that once the sensor is registered, Blast has to reset the sensor. I heard it on feedback someone got a sensor that was already registered.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fandoi22 and all,

Update your a blast softball app. The exit, launch, and distance of the ball is integrated as part of metrics (if you unlock all the metrics). It says you can get both info together, swing metrics and ball metrics. I will test it out tonight.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fandoi22 and all,

Update your a blast softball app. The exit, launch, and distance of the ball is integrated as part of metrics (if you unlock all the metrics). It says you can get both info together, swing metrics and ball metrics. I will test it out tonight.
Nice, We had an off weekend and hadn't gotten anything accomplished, so i will look at updating when i get a chance. On the sensor reset, the first one i got was a used one, so i forget what had to be done. I think you are correct and that i had to call and get it reset.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I didn't use the ball flight metrics last night. I did use the swing metrics and video. For some reason all my clips are rotated the wrong way as I shot them in landscape. I like the sensor, although in all seriousness the iphone's video capabilities is going to make the biggest difference. I tested the sensor and video today without any problems (video was showing in landscape as shot). I'm not sure why they all were rotated. I have allot of work ahead of me after looking at the videos. I was going to post some video, but they were all rotated incorrectly, next time.

The swing metrics are nice to have, you can measure batspeed increases with improvements in the swing. But, my focus at the next practice is going to be on video feedback at 240fps. So they can can see their swing issues. The swing metrics will be on the back burner until they dial in their swings. Then I'll focus on swing metrics.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I didn't use the ball flight metrics last night. I did use the swing metrics and video. For some reason all my clips are rotated the wrong way as I shot them in landscape. I like the sensor, although in all seriousness the iphone's video capabilities is going to make the biggest difference. I tested the sensor and video today without any problems (video was showing in landscape as shot). I'm not sure why they all were rotated. I have allot of work ahead of me after looking at the videos. I was going to post some video, but they were all rotated incorrectly, next time.

The swing metrics are nice to have, you can measure batspeed increases with improvements in the swing. But, my focus at the next practice is going to be on video feedback at 240fps. So they can can see their swing issues. The swing metrics will be on the back burner until they dial in their swings. Then I'll focus on swing metrics.
I am hoping to get these sensors going again. I went back and updated my app but wasn't able to connect. Sensors would not wake up even though they were charged and ready. Just got off the phone with support at Blast and they talked me thru some troubleshooting and got it going. won't have a chance tonight but hopefully this weekend my DD will take some swings so we can test and compare notes.

I think that i have always had the normal blast videos portrait and the blast vision was landscape. so i assume you have to go to portrait for it to work? not sure.

240fps was the main reason i got an iphone a while back, for pitching mainly but hitting it shows all the little quirks. Just wished my DD would love it as much as i do. haha.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Fanboi22,

I tested the app/phone the next day using a tripod and it showed the video correctly. My only guess is that I didn't have the camera's eye turned correctly, I somehow had the camera flipped on all the swings. They were all in their bathing suits anyways so I wasn't going to post those clips. I'm going to try to work with all the kids tomorrow, because Sunday 2 of them have plans. Soccer is starting and during the week might be hard to plan anything. All three want to work on their pitching as well so I bought a new glove.

Yes that is the main reason I bought the iphone was for the 240fps and the over-all camera capabilities. I love the phone now and won't go without one again.

Right now the slo motion video is going to make the biggest difference in their development. The 8 year old is the most athletic and has the nicest swing on video. One of the identical twins who are 10 had zero rotation happening. She was just using the hands/arms. The swing metrics for her aren't as important has building a solid foundation.

The twins, 10 year olds, worked mainly on pitching last year and picked it up in one year. The younger 8 year old didn't pitch last year (fastpitch season, this year) as she played up to be with her sisters. She pitched to me last year and had everything down as far as the motion goes (leg drive, etc.) just from watching her older sisters. The only thing she needs to work on is arm action. Like I said she is the most athletic, I was amazed with her over-all motion from just watching and not practicing pitching. She wants to pitch next year, so more sitting on a bucket for me, lol.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Just learning the app more the second time using the sensor. I was just learning the app from the 1st time and then I updated the app before the second time. I think I have it figured out and next time will be even better. Maybe I'll do some ball metrics next time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28