Influence of Slugging Percentage or ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Does Slugging Percentage influence your line up?
Or
More influenced by a few home runs?

Just for discussion examples

*Batters with same hitting averages.
One has greater slugging percentage
by 150~200 points.
The other has hit a few home runs.
But more strike outs.

What influences your line up more?

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Stats or only as reliable as the person(s) keeping them. We keep 2 sets. One for games vs.good teams and one set for games vs. lesser competition.

Assuming the stat person is knowledgeable and fair in judgement calls I keep an eye on OPS (OBP + slugging) to suggest my lineup.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Hopefully I have a good enough lineup I can bat "The other has hit a few home runs. But more strike outs." in lower half of lineup to blow open a game. Hopefully "One has greater slugging percentage by 150~200 points" is on base after knocking in a couple. :unsure:

Mar 7, 2016
I say yes. I keep stats on all my players. Both from our game changer and opposing teams. I do my lineups now based on WOBA, and in all cases but one mirrors OPS in terms of ranking the hitters on the team. I dont agree with the newer thinking of leading off with your highest WOBA/OPS player however and use a more old school cleanup lineup.

I do think there is a lot to be said for momentum, hitting is contagious. Couple players fire up it seems the lineup in general fires up. So id like to give it a try just difficult to place a power hitter with avg/slow speed in the lead off hole lol

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
I say yes. I keep stats on all my players. Both from our game changer and opposing teams. I do my lineups now based on WOBA, and in all cases but one mirrors OPS in terms of ranking the hitters on the team. I dont agree with the newer thinking of leading off with your highest WOBA/OPS player however and use a more old school cleanup lineup.

I do think there is a lot to be said for momentum, hitting is contagious. Couple players fire up it seems the lineup in general fires up. So id like to give it a try just difficult to place a power hitter with avg/slow speed in the lead off hole lol

How do you determine the linear weighted avgs for the calculation?

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018

From what source do you get the WOBA factors for the year?

Mar 7, 2016
From what source do you get the WOBA factors for the year?

YOU mean where do i find the equation or stats to fill it in?

Equation can be found online by searching "WOBA formula" and researching it a little.

Stats come from a mix of paper book stats we keep, and opposing teams game changers.

We figure that is pry worst case since those stats count against their team. Stats in youth sports are extremely biased or wrong usually. Most are clueless how to score errors, or FC, if a pitcher/catcher parent runs game changer its amazing how many more errors are recorded.

I usually run stats on upcoming opponents last 6 games before we play them for pool games. Amazing what you can learn from game changer/social media. Look who the sluggers are, who the burners are, who is a slapper/drag bunter who on defense struggles. etc. All with a simple search. For instance my daughter picked up with another org this weekend and just for grins i looked up the team they faced first pool game. Not only could i get all their stats but video of every game. Awesome to know that the 2 hole and 7 hole are right handed batters and only drag bunt first pitch of every at bat then switch over.

Sep 17, 2009
Now I know why my teams never lived up to their full potential when I was head coaching. When I wasn't missing work due to weekday mid-day tournament starts or leaving early to get the field ready for practice, I was catching up with work I'd missed :)

God bless any coach that can advance scout!

(Please don't take this as criticism, good on you)

And BTW, I am/was also not in the stats-lineup camp. I worked extensively with all our hitters and watched/felt every pitch of every game. I knew who could hit without looking at a stats sheet. I liked speed and disruption (if I had it) high in the lineup, followed by best hitters power OR gap and then the rest was who was playing well at bat or in the field.

(I know, I'm fooling myself. To each his/her own. If stats work for you, again....good on you).

Mar 7, 2016
Everyone knows who can hit, the coaches the players heck even the parents in the stands have a good idea. Its getting those that are struggling at the plate to hit that wins games. But stats are deceiving, my lead off hitter is only batting .178 this year, what people dont see is %75 of her ABs end with a laser of a hard line drive that is hit right at a player. She rakes the ball but it just has been a running them that the "the ball has eyes" for her this year.