Infield fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
My point is. The coach of the defensive team didn't lose anything. It remained 1st and 2nd with the out not being recroded on the IF but on the force out at 3rd. Atleast that's what the umpire called in the video. So why is he arguing. The argument should have came from the offensive coach on the out call at 3rd base.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My point is. The coach of the defensive team didn't lose anything. It remained 1st and 2nd with the out not being recroded on the IF but on the force out at 3rd. Atleast that's what the umpire called in the video. So why is he arguing. The argument should have came from the offensive coach on the out call at 3rd base.

Ump was indicating a fair ball, not an out at 3B. It ended with bases loaded and no outs on the play.

Do you now see why the defensive coach was arguing about the non-call on IF?

Nov 18, 2015
What was the ump looking at for the first second or so? It looks like he was checking on the batter-runner or the runner at 1st. If that was the case, and he was late picking up the fly ball, and just saw the SS running to catch it - I could agree with the non-call.

And I'd argue the ball landed 3' from where the 3B was at contact - wonder if the SS is usually that aggressive when calling for it? But hey - at least somebody called for it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What was the ump looking at for the first second or so? It looks like he was checking on the batter-runner or the runner at 1st. If that was the case, and he was late picking up the fly ball, and just saw the SS running to catch it - I could agree with the non-call.

And I'd argue the ball landed 3' from where the 3B was at contact - wonder if the SS is usually that aggressive when calling for it? But hey - at least somebody called for it.

F6 is a fast girl with a "go-get-it" attitude. Catching fly balls on the 3B foul line or the 1B side of 2B isn't out of the ordinary for her. On fly balls like the one in this video, it probably F6 more often than F5 who makes the play. This is also largely due to F6 usually being quicker to call for the ball, and having precedence over F5 when both calling.

Mar 28, 2014
F6 may have a go get it attitude but she should let F5 catch that ball or they're going to start calling her Kelly Leak. Lol....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
F6 may have a go get it attitude but she should let F5 catch that ball or they're going to start calling her Kelly Leak. Lol....

F6 and F5 communicated on the play, and did as they have been taught. I have zero issues with F6 calling for that ball, and taking priority over F5. What I don't want happening is F6 just assuming that F5 is going to catch it because it's closer to her. Go after every ball in your range, until you get called off. F6 called for it quickly, so F5 went to her next duty - covering 3B. It was very out of character for F6 to not make that catch.

Jun 8, 2016
F6 and F5 communicated on the play, and did as they have been taught. I have zero issues with F6 calling for that ball, and taking priority over F5. What I don't want happening is F6 just assuming that F5 is going to catch it because it's closer to her. Go after every ball in your range, until you get called off. F6 called for it quickly, so F5 went to her next duty - covering 3B. It was very out of character for F6 to not make that catch.
The main reason she missed it IMO was she did what I am constantly telling my DD not to do..she put her glove up a bit too early and it started bouncing around as she ran. Of course my DD still does it and I always end up closing my eyes when she goes after popups..lol.

Jun 24, 2019
We lost a championship game this weekend on a non tagged player and blue marker her out .... umpires are not doing this for the love of the sport ..

Mar 28, 2014
We lost a championship game this weekend on a non tagged player and blue marker her out .... umpires are not doing this for the love of the sport ..
Agreed. i would guesstimate that about 50% of the umpires now have never played the game. I'm talking about never even playing little league. They see an easy way to make some extra cash on weekends and they go take a class or two and the next weekend you see them at the fields. Clueless.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06