Infield fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I'm speaking about their general inexperience with the game overall. It's not just the fact that they have never played the game, it's the fact that they have never played the game combined with the fact that they are brand new umpires. Surely you would agree that a new umpire would be better equipped to call a game if they had played the game a number of years versus never having played the game at all? Playing the game gives a person a leg up on someone who has never played the game when they start out. Now after they have been calling a few years, that advantage dissipates. In my area we are seeing more and more new umpires show up to call games and their inexperience shows. When asked casually after the game about their playing experience, it is shocking the number that have never played at all. Even in little league.

I can’t say I disagree with this 100%, but I feel there is more wrong than there is right. I’m not saying playing doesn’t help a person know what to expect, but if you have only played (or coached) then you are watching the game from a completely different perspective and seeing completely different things than an umpire. If somebody played (or coached) they have to be “un-trained” from watching the game that way. This thread is a great example.

Somebody who comes to umpiring fresh may not have a basic level of knowledge that a player/coach does, but they also don’t have the biases, bad habits, and wrong expectations that have to be broken.

As far as inexperience showing, that is generally true no matter what a person’s previous non-umpiring (or even umpiring) experience is.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why? I’m seriously interested to know ... is it due to the shortage of officials or is it by choice ($$)?

Many games we play are just friendlies, which never have more than one ump due to costs. We also have seen quite a few tournaments where there is 1 ump for pool play games, and two for bracket games. Better quality tournaments tend to have 2 umps for all games.

Mar 28, 2014
I can’t say I disagree with this 100%, but I feel there is more wrong than there is right. I’m not saying playing doesn’t help a person know what to expect, but if you have only played (or coached) then you are watching the game from a completely different perspective and seeing completely different things than an umpire. If somebody played (or coached) they have to be “un-trained” from watching the game that way. This thread is a great example.
What does this thread show in regards to this? The people that have played the game and/or coached but not umpired it said the umpire blew the call and you agreed with us. The only difference was you tried to tell us why you think he blew the call. That doesn't change anything about the fact that the call was blown and non-umpires and umpires alike agreed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What does this thread show in regards to this? The people that have played the game and/or coached but not umpired it said the umpire blew the call and you agreed with us. The only difference was you tried to tell us why you think he blew the call. That doesn't change anything about the fact that the call was blown and non-umpires and umpires alike agreed.

There were a few - not just MIB - that provided insight into why it might not be called an IF. I found that insight interesting and enlightening, even though I don't think it applies to this particular play.

This thread was not started with the intent of bashing umpires, in general. I find it disappointing that some people will quickly jump on that bus.

May 29, 2015

Yes.

Dec 11, 2010
Has nothing to do with infield fly but I noticed that the shadows are short and catchers shadow points straight to location where ball was dropped. Sounds like she didn’t make that excuse but I’d be willing to bet that’s why she muffed an otherwise routine play.

Feb 3, 2013
Ump did not call "infield fly" on this play. When questioned about the decision by defensive HC, ump refused to acknowledge it as a routine play.

The resulting discussion between the ump and HC lead to the HC being relocated to the parking lot.

Let's remember the home plate umpire while for a infield fly call the fielder must be able to catch a ball with reasonable effort sometimes the umpires miss it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812