Infield fly rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Plate Umpire.

Base umpire can point and nod, but up to plate to call it.

May 29, 2015
Either. Many times a base umpire will have a better look at a ball passing over the infield and better judgment on whether it could be played on in a routine manner.

Infield fly rule is determined by the situation, not the umpire's call.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Either. Many times a base umpire will have a better look at a ball passing over the infield and better judgment on whether it could be played on in a routine manner.

Infield fly rule is determined by the situation, not the umpire's call.

Makes sense. More often than not, I’ve seen it called by the base umpire during DD’s tournaments. The latest being this weekend.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Who has the responsibility to call infield fly, plate umpire or base umpire?

In most codes the PU is responsible for the actual call (with assistance from the BU if needed) which has never made sense to me.

In NCAA it is any umpire

Oct 4, 2023
Who has the responsibility to call infield fly, plate umpire or base umpire?
The plate umpire is always responsible for initial signaling of infield fly. But the PU doesn't always recognize it, so then it becomes the base umpire's responsibility. Either way, it should be signaled verbally and visually with right arm raised with a fist. Umpires are charged with signaling it even if neither are guilty when they don't. Coaches and players are ultimately responsible for their own actions and knowing this game situation whether a pop fly is determined to be an infield fly or not, recognizing that it's only in effect with runners on first and second or bases loaded with less than 2 outs and the type of ball put in play. A fair fly ball deemed catchable with ordinary effort is considered an infield fly but it need not be caught by an infielder or within the skin of the infield to be ruled an infield fly. An outfielder playing in or moving toward a foul line could make a play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802