Infield fly rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2019
This happened in my son's 13u baseball game but I figured I would ask here. Runners at 1st and 2nd, one out. Very windy day, 40-50 mph wind gusts. The batter hits a high pop fly straight up, that blows towards the pitchers mound. The catcher doesn't leave the plate and the pitcher lost it and covered his head. Infield fly is called, batter is out. The ball lands about 10 feet from the mound. The backspin causes the ball to roll back and goes foul, untouched. The catcher picks up the ball roughly 5 ft into foul territory. I have 2 questions about the play.

1. Should it be called in the first place? In normal weather, it's the correct call everyday. Being that this is 13u A ball, it had been proven all day that there were no routine pop-flies due to the wind. It's a discretionary call anyway.

2. Should the call be reversed once the ball rolled foul?

Apr 1, 2017
This happened in my son's 13u baseball game but I figured I would ask here. Runners at 1st and 2nd, one out. Very windy day, 40-50 mph wind gusts. The batter hits a high pop fly straight up, that blows towards the pitchers mound. The catcher doesn't leave the plate and the pitcher lost it and covered his head. Infield fly is called, batter is out. The ball lands about 10 feet from the mound. The backspin causes the ball to roll back and goes foul, untouched. The catcher picks up the ball roughly 5 ft into foul territory. I have 2 questions about the play.

1. Should it be called in the first place? In normal weather, it's the correct call everyday. Being that this is 13u A ball, it had been proven all day that there were no routine pop-flies due to the wind. It's a discretionary call anyway.

2. Should the call be reversed once the ball rolled foul?
1. Yes, it should be called, or a really smart team is going to "drop' them on purpose and get a double play.

2. So it went foul, but batter was still called out? That's a mistake by the ump(s).

May 2, 2019
Yes, ball went foul and batter still called out. The coach questioned it. The umps got together and said it was un-reversable, if that's a word. I get the reason for the rule to avoid intentionally not catching the ball, but this was clearly not the case. I know bad calls/mistakes happen. I just want to know for myself because I've never seen this situation happen before.

Apr 1, 2017
Yes, ball went foul and batter still called out. The coach questioned it. The umps got together and said it was un-reversable, if that's a word. I get the reason for the rule to avoid intentionally not catching the ball, but this was clearly not the case. I know bad calls/mistakes happen. I just want to know for myself because I've never seen this situation happen before.
Umps were wrong. I tend to fall on the side of "let's not bash the umpires" side of arguments, but having multiple umpires, and still getting that wrong, is pretty bad.

May 27, 2022
The proper call, if in doubt, is "Infield fly, batter out if fair" or "Infield Fly if fair"...

If it land foul or rolls foul, the infield fly is negated.

2 Feedback thoughts:
1. You could ask the umpire, what if it landed foul - would it still be an Infield Fly? Ideally, they would realize that wouldn't be the case and expand their knowledge to make the right call.

2. As to being routine, since the ball dropped, could the defense have turned a double play at 3rd and 2nd? That is really why the rule is there, not to gage if a high pop fly is routine or not.

- IF the umpire still doesn't agree with you, I like to leave them with the comment: "well, we can both read the rules tonight and one of us will be smarter for it"

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
It is reversible. When the pop-up is near the line the umpire should delare, "infield fly if fair". if it does go foul it is just a foul ball. even if they did not add the "if fair" portion, if the ball ended up foul it negates the infield fly.

Jul 2, 2013
If the ball goes foul, infield fly is no longer in effect. In fact, I've actually heard umps say "Infield fly if fair" on the call. I'm not sure if that is something that is taught or not.

I'm not sure why that would be irreversible? Put everyone back and go just like any other foul ball.

Jul 27, 2021
Just happen to be looking in rule books for other things and found this one.

USSSA

RULE 14. UMPIRES
Sec. 12
H. When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an infield fly, the Plate Umpire immediately announces it for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the base line the Umpire shall declare, “Infield fly, if fair.”

Aug 25, 2019
I was behind the plate for a game last year and the batter hit a high pop up in front of the pitching circle by 1st base. I called out "infield fly"....the pitcher missed it completely, and the ball starting rolling towards the foul line, so I quickly added...."if fair, if fair, if fair!"......it rolled foul.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee