Infield fly rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The weird thing about this is the part about their call not being reversible. It's not even a matter of reversing it.

Infield fly is contingent on it being a fair ball. The ball wasn't fair, so it's not an infield fly. There actually is no call to reverse here if the umpires understood the rules.

Also it's very easy to "reverse" an out into a foul ball even if that's how you want to look at it. It doesn't require any special thinking. Just... everyone go back to where they were, strike on the batter.

Jun 11, 2013
I think the IFF is called wrong so often. It's really not a hard rule but for some reason so many don't get it. I think in this case even with the wind blowing it still should have been called but then reversed (or whatever you wan to call it) since ball went foul.

Off the subject I'm surprised more teams don't work on just letting it drop when it's called. It's kind of a bush play, but not any more than other things people do to win games.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
thinking this through, IFF...runners can advance at their own peril....the runners couldn't have advanced on a uncaught foul ball. If they had what would the umps have done then?

Jul 14, 2018
Off the subject I'm surprised more teams don't work on just letting it drop when it's called. It's kind of a bush play, but not any more than other things people do to win games.

Not sure why that benefits the defense? If it gets away, runners advance. If it goes foul, you lose the out. It does make me think we should emphasize to the infielders that they should never let an IFF roll foul. I wouldn’t be surprised if most of them don’t know that negates the out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Baserunners will sometimes panic and try to advance and give you an easy 2nd out. I've seen it happen fairly often.
Because when the ball is dropped you can be sure a lot of kits will run. We had one a few years ago where our Pitcher dropped on (not on purpose just terrible fielder) with bases loaded. The runner from third just took off. She would have been out by 30 feet if P didn't airmail the C with throw home. This was at 18U not 10U.

May 29, 2015
The weird thing about this is the part about their call not being reversible. It's not even a matter of reversing it.

Infield fly is contingent on it being a fair ball. The ball wasn't fair, so it's not an infield fly. There actually is no call to reverse here if the umpires understood the rules.

Also it's very easy to "reverse" an out into a foul ball even if that's how you want to look at it. It doesn't require any special thinking. Just... everyone go back to where they were, strike on the batter.

Additionally, IFF is contingent on the situation, NOT an umpire's call. So again, their logic makes no sense.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Baserunners will sometimes panic and try to advance and give you an easy 2nd out. I've seen it happen fairly often.
Had a panicky runner help our HS team out two days ago. Bases loaded, no outs, pop-up to pitcher. IFF rule, (caught), one out. Runner at 2nd inexplicably takes off for 3rd, mini-rundown, out number two. Runner at 3rd in the chaos tries to score, throw to home beats her there for the triple play.

Apr 19, 2023
Infield Fly is the correct call, but what they are saying is, if the ball is fair. If the ball goes foul without being touched, it is a foul ball. Just like a ball being close to the line and they still need to call Infield Fly, if fair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802