Incorrect pitching form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
My daughter is 15 and has been pitching for 6-7 years and just recently began to arch her back in the K position (see attachment) which makes her have to come around her body on the release. It looks very "goofy" and this has decreased her speed. Any suggestions on what to do (drills?) to correct the problem would be appreciated?

Attachments

• incorrect form.jpg
    incorrect form.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 83
Jan 27, 2010
My daughter is 15 and has been pitching for 6-7 years and just recently began to arch her back in the K position (see attachment) which makes her have to come around her body on the release. It looks very "goofy" and this has decreased her speed. Any suggestions on what to do (drills?) to correct the problem would be appreciated?

It appears to me that her glove hand is swimming and throwing the right side shoulder forward as her arm goes out to the side. Have her point the glove towards her target and bring it down to her side as her throwing arm starts the downswing.

May 13, 2008
While the shoulder looks like it is slightly closed I don't think it is symptomatic of her glove arm swimming out, I think it is because her torso is attached to her hips. Her stride foot is almost pointing directly at the target. The external rotation of her stride leg brings the hip along with it, robbing her of power and forcing her to change her posture to avoid jamming the ball into her hip at the release point. Open the stride foot more and she will be able to correct this. Get the stride foot to land more at a 2 o'clock position.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Just looking at the picture which isnt much to go on from a mechanics perspective I would say she is pitching around her hip and not past it. Which is what I think Chris is saying in his post with the jamming the ball comment. Does she throw inside when she makes a big mistake and does she hit herself in the hip often?

Dana.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If the power line starts at her front toe, look how far back her right foot is. I would have to ask what pitch she is working on? Because, it appears that she is stepping across the power line.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Amy,

Could be. Or it might be she is being/has been taught the figure 4 with the back leg? Hard to tell with just a picture.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes