In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Practice time is the coach's time. Game time is the players' time.

Great great post Ken. If this could be mandated as one of the first commandments of coaching, the game of softball would be vastly improved overnight.

Pulling stunts like that disrespect the game. They disrespect the other team, their time, as was noted.

They make you look unprepared and reactionary, as a coach, as was noted.

Managers who manage like this have no concept that their team is performing in public, and presents a face, good or bad, to the public. As a player, if your coach does this to you, I mean geez, if your own coach, who in reality with the way many parents are in the stands, and the way some opponents behave, is your only advocate, treats you like this publicly...

In the bigger picture, it comes down to players should be learning to play loose and all-out, and our generation has become obsessed with inserting ourselves into our kids lives and micro-managing even things like sports games where they should be building self confidence, self reliance, an athletic identity, decision making and leadership.

I'm going to float a "sandlot day" idea to our rec board (which I am sure will be shot down), a day where friends and family are not welcome, a day where the kids come out and play.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I don't like it. This "motivating" tactic not only embarrasses the player, but her teammates, her parents, the coaches, the city, and the entire softball organization she plays for. If I see this happening to the other team, I think; "wow, I would never have my daughter play for that organization". In a game last weekend, my team slept walked through our defensive half of the inning. My asst coach wanted the team to run to the fence and back before our at bat. I said; "absolutely not! We will not embarrass the entire team and organization in front of another team! We will handle this between games, and then in practice."

Mar 13, 2010
Off Topic...How does an ump make this ruling? Does he call time out? Dead Ball? What's the proper procedure? What if the batter is hanging out of the batters box watching the shenanigans (pushups)?

Thanks in advance.

T
Assuming the game was played under ASA rules......

Umpire would only call time out, if a time out was requested by the HC. This would be a charged Defensive Conference, and a team is only allowed three charged Defensive Conferences (5.7.B) in a seven inning game. So if the HC wants to use one his three allowable DC's to have F4 drop and give him 10 pushups, that's his prerogative.

Umpires, by rule, have no jurisdiction over how a coach choses to correct, discipline, instruct, etc. the players on his team.

Now, if he did not ask for a time out to do this, we still have a live ball and his pitcher has the ball in the circle. If the next batter is in the box, his pitcher has :20 sec. to deliver the pitch.....failure to do so results in a Ball being called on the batter. (6.3.O).

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2013
" What do folks think about the coach grabbing a players helmet cage to yell at them "

You put your hands on my Daughter, in an aggressive manner, and I will put my hands on you!

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Oddly enough my boss got upset with me today on a project and told me to "drop and give him 10" during a phone call. I thought it was weird but now see he was reading this post. ;)

All I can say is this: In practice I will have a negative consequence for mental mistakes to enforce a player asking questions to ENSURE they understand before we start a drill. We tell them all that we expect physical mistakes in practice because we EXPECT them to PUSH themselves to the next level for themselves. We explain that when they get good at a skill then it is time to push themselves again to achieve a NEW level of success. That said, we also tell them that how they practice tells us as coaches what they are willing to attempt in a game.

During a game all we have to do is ask them, "Is this all you can give me in this moment?" The girls are learning what this question means....It is more of a statement....They understand we think they are not focused 100%. No screaming is needed. No push ups are either. We can express our disappointment with their LACK of effort. We try not to express our disappointment in their results physically. Then again we are 12U and still learning. Maybe at 16U expectations are different. We want players who want to hustle, Love to hustle and know their coaches expect their FOCUS when on the field. The physical stuff is coming with reps and focus.

Dec 26, 2008
As a lot of posters have stated BAD coaching....
Pull the player and put a sub in her place while you discuss what you want out of them while they are on the bench...

When you screw up at work do you want your managment to STOP production and make you an example? I think not...and most understand that that would not improve production or the level of play...

I had a coach try this type of stunt in a game we were ahead by 9 runs by making his whole team run foul pole to foul pole during the game.
I approached the umpire to let him know I did not appreciate this and that said coach was "disrespecting him and the game" by doing so.
At that point the coach was pulled out on the field and had to apologize to the fans and other team for his actions...Fitting...and I am sure he will not make the same mistake...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad