In-game discipline - push-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
pushups (and sit ups) are a great way to refocus a player, it is healthy, increases strength and does not have to be demeaning, I don't agree with doing it in a game because it is a distraction. During practice it is a great way to give feedback. DD is the same as the others mentioned. She is really good at making pitching adjustments after pushups. I don't even have to say it anymore, one pitch to the wrong side of the plate is OK, two in a row (no adjustment) is 10 pushups and 20 sit ups. Two months ago she looked like PRIVATE BENJAMIN doing them now she looks like Ronda Rousey doing them and she is super proud (I even caught her showing her coach how good she is at them).

Yanking a player in the middle of an at bat is useless humiliation. I live in San Diego and would love to know which team this is so I don't accidentally end up on it some day.

Grab my daughter's facemask in an aggressive way and I will be assaulting you in the parking lot after the game.

Papa's Superstars (not the real name obviously but the initials match)...

Jul 26, 2010
I don't know, a girl was spacing out, this happens to kids over the course of a long tournament day. The coach did something that got the kid to refocus. The option is to pull the kid. There is no "telling" in youth sports, you're either doing or you're not doing.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Off Topic...How does an ump make this ruling? Does he call time out? Dead Ball? What's the proper procedure? What if the batter is hanging out of the batters box watching the shenanigans (pushups)?

Thanks in advance.

T

Jul 2, 2013
I will repeat.

Parents pay a bunch of money to watch their D's play softball.

My biggest pet peeve is coaches who think they are more important than the game. The game last 1 hour 20 minutes (depending on the tourney).

Get your kids OFF, and get them back ON. Don't do extended mass huddles. Don't do time delaying arguing with the officials. Don't make players do push-ups.

Some of these coaches simply do not get it !!!! Having paid thousands of dollars, just to watch my DD play a game, I want to get my money's worth.

All the other crap is for practice.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
How about yanking a player in the middle of an at-bat? The guy that runs a very well known TB organization (and takes over teams in championship games from their normal coaches) here in San Diego is famous for this little stunt...that's a real confidence builder...

I don't agree with yanking players mid-inning either. Strictly little league.

Jul 26, 2010
I will repeat.

Parents pay a bunch of money to watch their D's play softball.

My biggest pet peeve is coaches who think they are more important than the game. The game last 1 hour 20 minutes (depending on the tourney).

Get your kids OFF, and get them back ON. Don't do extended mass huddles. Don't do time delaying arguing with the officials. Don't make players do push-ups.

Some of these coaches simply do not get it !!!! Having paid thousands of dollars, just to watch my DD play a game, I want to get my money's worth.

All the other crap is for practice.

It's good to know that the quantity over quality mentality exists outside of Shenzhen province.

-W

Jun 29, 2013
Not that it matters, but if you did this during a college football game you would be penalized. I don't agree with it personally, it may have worked and if the parents don't complain I guess that's all that matters.

Jul 2, 2013
It's good to know that the quantity over quality mentality exists outside of Shenzhen province.

-W

Like I said, some coaches just don't get it.

I don't pay money to sit there and watch you talk. Get it. Sure I put up with it, but don't like it.

The exception is 7 inning regulation games. Then I know I will get every pitch, and every at bat. But timed games, like most every travel tourney, I want to see as many at bats as possible.

Been to nearly 1000 games. The best coaches move the game along. Teach as they go and the spectators barely here a peep out of them. Most all communication is one-on-one with players in private, and brief.

And in a manner that does not delay the game.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
For those who believe in pushups as punishment, why do you feel it's a good fit for youth softball but not other areas?

Would it work in business? Why don't bosses make employees do pushups in the office if they mess up?

Or what about the school play? Why don't teachers/directors have kids do pushups if they flub/forget their lines?

Should kids do a pushup in front of the class for every point below an A that they make? Or pushups for forgetting to turn in homework?

What aren't pushups-as-punishment a universal tactic to bring out the best in people? What is it about certain youth sports?

I like this idea. I think you're on to something. All elected officials should be held to this standard! :)