Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2014
I would also suggest SonicMojo should take up umpiring since it is so easy to see illegal pitches. (Clue: It’s not always.)

Indeed I will concede I should have limited my comments to this situation, as this is what I had in mind when commenting, not all varieties of illegal pitches. As defined by NFHS, this is a crow hop. Period. No slow motion needed. The push knee only points back and flexes if the pitcher has crow hopped.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
here is what I tell my DD and my players, no matter what they think or the parents in the stand are yelling about illegal pitching. If the umpire doesn't call it then its not illegal and your still bound to hit the ball or strike out. Don't let the outcome be dictated by someone else when its still on the batter.

Mar 28, 2014
The pitcher in the video is clearly leaping. If an ump can't spot that then they should do something else to make their side money.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher in the video is clearly leaping. If an ump can't spot that then they should do something else to make their side money.

And again, if you have to super slow motion it and freeze frame it to see it then it is never going to be called in real time. I have freeze framed it and blown it up as big as I can get it and still cannot tell for sure the foot is off the ground. I have no idea how anyone can definitively state this is for sure 100% a leap. A whole lot of armchair umpiring going on in this thread. There is an umpire shortage, they would be more than happy to have all the umpires they can get. If you think you can do a better job, contact your local associations and sign up.

May 29, 2015
Comp — thank you, that was the statement I was referencing earlier (but couldn’t find this time).

IPHawk — best advice for players EVER.

SonicMojo — I understand what you are driving at, but that language is not in the rule or the definition so using that as a standard is wrong. There are two standards for a crow hop: does the drag foot (1) replant AND (2) push again? I referenced how her foot looked earlier as a hint, but that is not enough to make the call.

Texasheat — (Or anyone) Please explain to me what you are seeing in that video that you feel is OBVIOUS, CLEAR, and 100% illegal. Don’t just tell me it is, tell me what you see. This is something we strive as umpires to do.

Aug 17, 2019
Comp — thank you, that was the statement I was referencing earlier (but couldn’t find this time).

IPHawk — best advice for players EVER.

SonicMojo — I understand what you are driving at, but that language is not in the rule or the definition so using that as a standard is wrong. There are two standards for a crow hop: does the drag foot (1) replant AND (2) push again? I referenced how her foot looked earlier as a hint, but that is not enough to make the call.

Texasheat — (Or anyone) Please explain to me what you are seeing in that video that you feel is OBVIOUS, CLEAR, and 100% illegal. Don’t just tell me it is, tell me what you see. This is something we strive as umpires to do.
Again, I’m no expert, but I guess if I were an umpire, I might look for dirt flying up from the drag foot. Just a theory. I mean I wouldn’t just look for dirt and start calling illegal pitches, but I’d take notice and keep a more watchful eye, I suppose.

Mar 28, 2014
I have freeze framed it and blown it up as big as I can get it and still cannot tell for sure the foot is off the ground.
This blows my mind. It is so obvious to me. And I say this in the vein of "Maybe I'm seeing this wrong because it seems too obvious for anyone else to miss". Are you an ump?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
She is leaping. Her drive foot does not drag. I'm not even getting into the "plant, replant, no replant" discussion because it doesn't matter. She is clearly leaping. It seems as clear as the nose on my face. I'm stunned that you as an umpire don't see it clearly. Making me second guess myself but every time I go back to watch it is even more clear so now I'm thinking I'm hallucinating!!!.

May 29, 2015
OK, you’ve given me your opinion repeatedly (Coach), but what is it you are seeing?

Odd that some people are obviously seeing a crow hop while some are clearly seeing a leap. Can’t be both.

(And yes, Comp is an ump. He and I don’t always agree, but he’s been around here much longer than I have and I respect his opinion.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00